PDA

View Full Version : GBH in flight

Randy Rimland
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
shot from a boat on Lake Norman with my new D7100 + Nikon's new 80-400AFS

f/6.3, 1/2500, iso640

Karl Egressy
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM
The shadow on the far wing makes this image nice and interesting. The close wing is a little too dark.

gail bisson
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi Randy,
I like the position of the GBH and the IQ.
I don't like the squarish comp and would add canvas on LHS to make a landscape comp. I would also add a bit more room on the RHS.
If you have Nik Efex Pro, you could pull out more detail from the dark side of the underwing with detail Extractor.
I like the shadow on the far wing a lot.
gail

Randy Rimland
04-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Hi Randy,
I like the position of the GBH and the IQ.
I don't like the squarish comp and would add canvas on LHS to make a landscape comp. I would also add a bit more room on the RHS.
If you have Nik Efex Pro, you could pull out more detail from the dark side of the underwing with detail Extractor.
I like the shadow on the far wing a lot.
gail

Hi Gail,

I have the Nik Suite but I don't have Nik Efex Pro so I used CS6 and selectively removed some shadows from the dark side of the underwing and recroped it
what do you think
Thanks for those good ideas

Randy

[edit] i just realized you meant color efex pro so here's another version using the detail ext

Randy Rimland
04-12-2013, 12:52 AM
The shadow on the far wing makes this image nice and interesting. The close wing is a little too dark.

thx karl, see the reposts above and thx

PhilCook
04-12-2013, 04:07 AM
Well done on recovering the shadows detail in the repost Randy, I prefer the last version myself as I think the second looks to unnatural = some shadowing underwing is normal in real life..the last tweak is a good comprimise imo.

Aside from that the bird is sharp, the wing form is nice, possibly nicer if the closer wing was more open, blue sky is a great backdrop....but not fond of the square crop and feel it needs quite a bit more canvas on the left

Randy Rimland
04-12-2013, 05:55 AM
Well done on recovering the shadows detail in the repost Randy, I prefer the last version myself as I think the second looks to unnatural = some shadowing underwing is normal in real life..the last tweak is a good comprimise imo.

Aside from that the bird is sharp, the wing form is nice, possibly nicer if the closer wing was more open, blue sky is a great backdrop....but not fond of the square crop and feel it needs quite a bit more canvas on the left

1st of all let me say I love this forum. I am so sick of the useless 'nice pic' posts i get everywhere else. I would way rather get suggestions like I always do here so THANKS

How's this vers ?

Still too square ? Better shadows ?

Faraaz Abdool
04-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Fantastic shot, Randy, and you've improved upon the original so much. The repost in pane #7 is the winner for me. You've properly addressed all concerns :-).

Randy Rimland
04-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Fantastic shot, Randy, and you've improved upon the original so much. The repost in pane #7 is the winner for me. You've properly addressed all concerns :-).

thanks Faraaz, I appreciate you looking and commenting

prasanna av
04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Randy, Wonderful work when you compare the first and last posts.
Second your opinion about getting bugged of the " oh! so wonderful" comments.
This forum members have a lovely way of letting you know what is wrong and how to improve your image.
Thanks everybody again

PhilCook
04-12-2013, 06:32 PM
The last is much improved I think, but I would go0 one step more and add a little more to the left and a little to the top to balance out the closeness of the feet to the edge of the frame...somethjng like this maybe..................