PDA

View Full Version : Focus setting for ducks moving across the water.

Simon Wantling
04-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi, I was wondering whether Anyone could advise to the best focus setting for ducks moving across the water. With stationary ducks on my 7D I use center point and one shot. Currently with birds moving across the water I use AI servo but still centre point and try and pan with the tripod to keep the centre on the eye. This is very difficult though. Is there a better way?

Thanks

simon

PhilCook
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Just brought this up the other day here....maybe worth a gamble

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/109331-Hot-Shoe-Sight

Paul Keeble
04-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Have you tried the Spot AF point as opposed to just the regular centre point?
That can sometimes help if the camera seems to grab the higher contrast of the background.

BobbyPerkins
04-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Try Moving the center-point around as needed. For example a duck swimming parallel to you and to the right you may want to move the center point to the right of center a couple points while in AI-servo and focusing on the eye. This will give you more room to fit the whole bird in the frame. (if thats part of the problem?). You can enable the center-point to be easily moved with the joystick making it easy to do while still looking through the view finder. Often if your close to swimming ducks and focus on the eye with center point you may cut off the tail end of the bird. Moving the focus point around allows you to create better compositions with out that dead in the center trap. Also great when anticipating behavior such as a wing flap, you may want to lower the center point to avoid clipping off the wings, ect. Hopes this helps.

Daniel Cadieux
04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Yes, you can try moving the focus point around as many times the duck needs to be relatively small to avoid cutting the tail when using center point. I don't use spot focus. For a full body image the focus point does not have to be exactly on the eye...it can be anywhere on the bill, face, head, neck, even chest...the dof should take care of the rest as normally the duck will be far enough for that. If you have enough light stop down a bit. AI Servo is must for moving subjects.

David Stephens
04-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Center point and AI Servo. Set the servo speed slow, so it is less likely to grab on the BG. Don't constantly hold the AF on and "bump" it when you're certain that you have the AF point on the bird.

It IS indeed a tough shot, requiring high precision from you.