PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Beasts

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I have just returned from another epic Duba plains photographic safari with ODP safaris.We witnessed this buffalo kill from start to finish, from the lions playing at first light to finding the buffalo, stalking and then the kill, it was just one of those sightings out of the documentaries, a true reflection on the never ending battles between the "Relentless Enemies" of Duba Plains.

Nikon D3s
Nikkor 200-400 F4 VR II
1/2000 sec @ F6.3
-0.3 EV
ISO 800

Morkel Erasmus
04-11-2013, 02:48 AM
I was waiting for these, Brendon... :cheers:
Such a dramatic moment. I will let others raise their critiques first - but I would suggest lifting/dodging the shadows slightly on the shaded side of the buff's face and also on the main attacking lioness' face. Late morning light well handled.

I trust you will show a few frames from this sighting...

Rachel Hollander
04-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi Brendon - great storytelling image, for me it is all about the buff here. As Morkel said, the light was well handled. Dof is excellent. Personally, I might add a couple of points of black to the blacks and neutrals in selective colors. I like the comp as is but also wonder if you have a sliver more room on the left. The versatility of the 200-400 was a plus here. Overall, an excellent image that anyone would be stoked to have. Looking forward to more from the sighting.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
04-11-2013, 06:48 AM
What a great story this image depicts. The anguish on the buffalo's face is powerful and the fact that you can see the lion biting his jugular simultaneously is amazing. Agree with trying to bring up the shadows a bit.

Steve Kaluski
04-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Hi Brendon, a typical sighting and Duba (if you are lucky), and congrats on being able to witness this, the immense power of these lion is awesome and to take down what appears to be a full grown adult does take team work & strength.

Looking at the image I think I would agree with Rachel on a sliver more to the LHS and I might drop/ balance the cyan/blue a bit, tweaking the Yellow & Red I think moves it more in line colour balance wise IMHO, offering a more warmer approach rather than a cooler one. I think this is were Brendon the difference is between Nikon & Canon and the direction they go. I would worry about adding any more black, especially in the shadow areas, likewise opening any of the shadow areas, personally I think it looks fine as is and reflects the shadow you would get around 9.00am, but just personal choice.

Brendon, perhaps next time you can try a tweak and gauge the reaction, perhaps post the two, but lets not say any more until the next posting. Good luck in Chitabe. :wave:

TFS
Steve

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Wow this must have been a hard one to shoot with excitement and sadness at the same time. Great timing and Morkel had a good suggestion IMO

Brendon Cremer
04-12-2013, 02:09 AM
A RP with a few added tweeks from the suggestions WDYT

Steve Kaluski
04-12-2013, 03:02 AM
Hi Brendon, that's where I was going, and you still can get a bit more tone into the two LH lionesses, as it helps to define the muscle area. WDYT now?:bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
04-12-2013, 08:10 AM
RP is subtly improved...IMHO

Anette Mossbacher
04-14-2013, 04:33 PM
HI Brendon,

what a scene. I like the RP very much. All has been said already.
Sad for the buffalo, but nature goes it's way!
Great one

Ciao
Anette