PDA

View Full Version : The Narrow Way

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-01-2008, 10:39 AM
This is another view entering Petra. As you can see by the people the mountains were gigantic. But if you look down to the actual enterance you will see a tiny ,tiny group of peop just about to enter the narrow passage. They look like little dots. By now I am sure you have gotten the message. Petra was unbelievable and breathtaking but very difficult to capture the excitment splendor of it all.

D3
14 to 24mm
ISO 320
1/400. F6.3

All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Phil Colla
05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Looks like an amazing place! I agree with you, sometimes it is hard to compose an image that captures the feel of being there.

Rich Ikerd
05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Inclusion of the people really give this a great sense of scale Judy. Can only image how impressive it is in person.

Robert Amoruso
05-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Judy,

Good idea using people in this image to accentuate the size of the cliffs. I would suggest that tilting the camera down to include all of the FG persons (feet clipped) would strengthen the image.

Try a reverse s-curve for controlling contrast. My repost used a curves adjustment and a reverse s-curve to knock down the contrast. The correction here took on a bit of a color cast but in a TIFF workflow will yield better results.

I like the inclusion of the tree and shadow on the right FG and the diagonal V of the sky is a nice contrasting color to the rocks.

Ed Cordes
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Wonderful scene. The people do add a sense of scale, but I agree about including their feet.

Roman Kurywczak
05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi Judy,
Sorry it took so long to respond........I was actually able to get out and photograph the last 2 days locally. I have admired your work in the bird forums......so I know you have a wonderful eye! You now have to apply that to the landscapes:D! You have beautiful lines and balance in this image. As mentioned above the people give wonderful scale but the chopped feet are a big minus....had you waited 1or 2 more seconds......they would have been in the perfect spot to emphasised scale without changing your comp. Just like birds......especially if we are in a place where we can't get rid of people.........we need to wait until they are in the correct part of the frame. I do like Robert's contrast change but as he stated it lost a little pop on the color. At this point, I would probably get rid of the people.even though you lose scale...as the ending image would be very nice with a few minor corrections.
PS.......now you know why I crop so tight in birds.......I'm trained to get rid of all "stuff" off the edges of my frame.....including dead space.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks Roman I agree with your comments. I was so enthralled with the incredible scenery that people were the last on my list. The mountains and rock where breathtaking as well as the color and I was frustrated as I was with 26 people and just had to keep moving so not much time to compose the perfect image. This is a place that one does not come to on their as it is out in the middle of nowhere and is inhabited mainly by bedouins now. Again many thanks Roman for taking the time to comment and it is much appreciated.

Steve Bein
05-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I have been talking to people about Petra. Evidently there is a hotel at the entrance and you can go before the busses arrive. the suggested plan is to stay overnight. what a fantastic place. Your photos are inspiring and appreciated.