PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Well here is the top half to Jamie's 'graphic' image of the Sandhill Cranes neck, compared to that, this is rather boring and pedestrian, but given the light, conditions etc it's always worth just snapping away. Based on the feedback to his image he will be wanting to try my 1DX next :bg3: but hopefully by then he will have his own 500/600. :w3

Just wonder if the blue should go and have a more uniform coloured BKD?

Steve

Subject: Sandhill Crane, side profile (Grus canadensis)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 MKII plus 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/125s at f/11 ISO1250 +1 stop compensation

Stu Bowie
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi Steve, well its that HA again :w3 - looking slightly away, but great sharp detail, and love how we can see through the nostril. The pano crop works, as do the pastel colours of the BG, and I would leave the blue.

Dont be hard on me when I post in wildlife. :w3

Ivan Ellison
04-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice close up, as said above, nice to see through the nostril. Lovely detail and the light seems right for this softly colored bird. I would leave the blue in the bg, it gives a nice feel to it.

Randy Stout
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Steve:

Fine detail, soft colors/light. The iris detail is really great. The slight blue is Ok with me, and I don't mind this amount of texture/detail in bg. On my ipad, it could go 1/4 stop brighter, but probably fine on a calibrated monitor.

Cheer

Randy

Steve Kaluski
04-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Well Stu, I couldn't get any more side on, however if it is looking slightly away it really has to be a a very fine fraction off, don't forget, from head to tip of bill it is going to drift back in it's nature, they will not be on the same level plane. Will lookout for your venture in to Wildlife soon hopefully Stu. :w3

Cheers Ivan & Randy, Randy I did actually brighten/warm the image up a fraction to give it a bit more appeal IMHO, the afternoon was incredibly flat & grey, just a good excuse to keep pushing and getting to know about the 1DX even after almost a year, you can still be amazed. :S3:

Sidharth Kodikal
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Brightness looks spot on to me, Steve. I wouldn't go any brighter.
I love the details here. I could see a bit taken off the top.
If I ever venture into the wildlife forum I might be in trouble - but there you go with that HA again :bg3: