PDA

View Full Version : Male Black-backed Woodpecker.

Daniel Cadieux
04-09-2013, 05:18 AM
A local rarity! I photographed a female in early winter in the west end of the city where it had been reported (and posted a couple of images), and thought to myself that a male would be nice as they are cool with their yellow forehead. Well, one has been reported and photographed by others (as well as another female), but in the west end again. I decided to stick closer to home due to lack of time in hopes of relocating the screech owl and low and behold I stumbled upon an unexpected and cooperative male Black-backed Woodpecker! That now makes for at least four individuals locally and outside their normal range. It was high up in the trees but I managed to lure it down to eye level by imitating its' tapping by using a branch on a tree trunk...at first it came to within two feet of me, basically to the exact spot I was tapping the tree!

Canon 7D + 100-400L @275mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, darkend pupil, added a wee bit of canvas below to give room for the tail tip which I framed too close (tsk, tsk), a distracting bright patch in the BG filled in via clone tool, toned down the perch via burn tool.

Steve Kaluski
04-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Hi Daniel, a testing image for the camera with quite contrasting content, just goes to show how good both camera & lens is in the right hands. Very nicely handled, great detail and the incline of the tree bolsters the composition. I like the subtle changes in the colour of the wing plumage.

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
04-09-2013, 02:25 PM
First of all, you must have been thrilled to see this bird, never mind photograph it. I love seeing new species on BPN. You completely nailed this image. The IQ is top notch as are all the colors and little details like the vegetation in the BG which works so well.

Karl Egressy
04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Nice pose with perfect head angle, Daniel.This is a great species to have.

dankearl
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Daniel,
Very nice find and excellent IQ.
I think it is a bit dark and might brighten it a bit.
You need to publish a field craft book, great work getting it close to you.

Jim Crosswell
04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
I like angled perch, IQ, BG, HA and composition. Great field craft and image!

Corey Hayes
04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Great Shot Dan.

Mike Veltri
04-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Sweet image of this hard to find woodpecker.