PDA

View Full Version : Cauliflower ear

Carole Deschuymere
04-08-2013, 05:32 AM
I took this picture on my trip in March to the Masai Mara, Kenya. the lioness was yawning, but instead of choosing the most likely yawn-picture, with the mouth wide open, I prefered this one, because it shows more threat, and also the flies were more visible on this one. I got my new Eizo monitor, so hope you can give me some feedback if the colours are alright now.

Canon 5D mark III
canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM
Iso 500
f/4.0
1/1600

Rachel Hollander
04-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Hi Carole - nice sharpness and detail. For me, there is too much space above and to the rhs so I would consider a tighter, perhaps 16x9 crop. On the color front, the yellows are very strong and bright. If it were mine, I would drop the yellow channel and perhaps the reds to a much lesser extent. However, you were there and know what the conditions and lighting were like.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
04-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi Carole,

love your details. I agree with Rachel on the crop. A bit less room on the RHS might look better, just my thought. Colorwise I like it how it is, but that is just me!!!
You will see what the others have to say on that :w3

Have a great week

Ciao
Anette

PS the flies are great :bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi Carole,
like the whole idea of the image with some nice detail and sharpness,Good handling of the light situation and nicely processed.

Agree about the cropping , would go for pano in this case. I am fine with the colors, but i do miss some mid tone contrast in the whole image.

Nice one , Carole .

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Nice luminosity here Carole. I do like the space on the RHS but would crop from the top for a pano presentation if mine.
I agree the yellows are coming through just a tad too much, likewise perhaps some green. Easy to correct...:bg3:
Looking forward to more from the Mara!

Jonathan Ashton
04-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi Carole, nice detail, from one Eizo to another I would suggest a little too much yellow (had mine calibrated last week!) From a personal perspective I would suggest a little too much space on the right, cropping would if anything help concentrate attention on the head and the flies.

Dumay de Boulle
04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Amazing IQ and exposure considering the back lighting. I would like to see a closer crop but the flies and colors are great.

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Lovely image Carole, great detail and the flies add nicely to the image. Colours although i agree are a little yellow but then again i find myself liking them at the same time. The crop indeed i would loose some off the top, the right if good for me.

Brendon Cremer
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Just my 2c re the crop, WDYT?

Carole Deschuymere
04-11-2013, 04:40 AM
thank you all for your kind comments! I agree about the yellow, will adjust my colour settings a bit. I like your crop as well Brendon. But I actually chose to take the picture that way, and although you all suggest a different crop, I still prefer the original. I can be stubborn like that some times... :bg3: I tried something different, and like it. Maybe it's because I see it in large print already?