PDA

View Full Version : Tri colored at Gatorland

Randy Stout
04-07-2013, 04:16 PM
While on a family vacation in the Orlando area, had a couple of hours at Gatorland. My first visit there, and I want to thank all that gave me their input on the site. I was really on a scouting trip, hoping to get back in the morning on another day, but alas I was rained out. So, was lucky that the afternoon I was there was somewhat overcast, causing only soft shadows. Remarkable place because of the close nests, but getting clean shots, and clean backgrounds not always easy. Plus, it was very crowded. Will def. go again if circumstances allow.

D4 70-300VR f7.1 270mm 1/1000s ISO 1600 hand held

Post: Small crop for comp. toned down some highlights in the foliage. Lightened the whites on the abdomen a bit, selective sharpening

Advice and comments appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

PhilCook
04-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I like it as is, but I think it could also look good with the backdrop a tad darker, all sits in the frame well...like the detail particularly on the crest and feet, and the eye is rather nice and clear too

dankearl
04-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I agree, just a tad darker BG, but an attractive pose and nice details.

Randy Stout
04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys:

I had actually lightened the entire image a bit with curves just before I posted it. My personal taste is for darker images, but sometimes I find that I overdo it, hence the compensatory lightening. Here is a tweak with luminosity layer run on the BG only. I could bend out the light blue patches of sky, but thought it helped pick up the colors of the bird and tie the color palette of the BG and bird together.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Randy

Nick Palmieri
04-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Really nice composition and pose. Great looking bird.

Dennis Zaebst
04-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Nice clear portrait. The repost is much better as there appear to be some blown highlights on the leaves only (which sometimes is OK if not too numerous) in the FG. The bird is terrific with a nice clear eye.

Jim Crosswell
04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I like the sharpness, pose, details, composition and repost looks better. Well done Randy!

David Salem
04-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Nice shot and the repost was an improvement as the bird looks better due to the BG being a bit darker. I like the pose and the details in this. Nice comp too. Well done

Daniel Cadieux
04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
This is a very appealing image of a Tricolored, although they are very photogenic at worst of times anyhow. Love the vertical comp and the pose with the angled legs. I too prefer the repost.

Stu Bowie
04-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi Randy, Ive always enjoyed the colours this species has, and in this I like how I can see them on the curved neck. I also like how he is looking one way, and the right leg is extended the opposite way. Im fine with the sky on top, and your repost does look better.

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey Randy,
I like the repost but do wonder if you just made the BG darker? He really is in some fine breeding plumage!

Randy Stout
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the input.

Roman: I did a layer mask on the bird when I ran the luminosity layer on the image, so should have protected the luminosity of the bird. It is possible that when I went back to redo the image, that I went to a file that didn't have the curves adjustment seen in the original, so the bird is slightly darker as well.

Cheers

Randy

Tim King
04-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Nice perch shot of this Tri, Randy. The pose is perfect. Don't see much of these. I feel like I'm being blinded by the bright BG in the top of the frame.

Doug Brown
04-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Great pose and nice BG. I prefer the darker version too.