PDA

View Full Version : Foraging Grouse

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Taken a short while ago, just love these game birds and the eyebrow comb. Again, on reflection perhaps some gardening on the heather towards the end of the tail feathers.

Posted remotely as I'm currently away.

Steve

Subject: Foraging Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4
Exposure: 1/1000s at f/.6 ISO800 0 stop compensation

Sidharth Kodikal
04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Gorgeous bird and habitat. The bg is unique and nice too. Nice shooting angle and composition.
Did you get any with the head turned towards us?

Steve Kaluski
04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Did you get any with the head turned towards us?
Hi Sidharth, oh you guys are tough and take no prisoners :bg3:, but appreciate the nice feedback :wave: I might have something for you later, sadly I would have preferred a bit more room below on that one, but I will try and post at some point, but it might be towards the end of the week, it's a little different.

Thanks
Steve

Karl Egressy
04-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Beutiful colours and nice sorrounding, except the bottom left corner. The bird looks great.

PhilCook
04-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Lovely natural composition among the heather flowers= just where I would expect to find a Grouse. Liking very much the light hitting it's head region showing off the colors nicely, dont mind the HA at all as it catches the light perfectly, slight shame about the stronger oof region bottom left..but still excellent photography

dankearl
04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Great setting and the BG is killer. The light is really nice and I agree about more room below and some more DOF there.
I am sure you will get another chance.

Richard Unsworth
04-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Beautifully presentation here; dont mind the OOF FGLeft I think it naturally sens my eye to the subject.It is very easy to underestimate how difficult it can be to get frames like this - very nice indeed!

arash_hazeghi
04-08-2013, 02:13 AM
nice pose and light, like the ambiance and the enviroment. agree a bit head turn would take it to the top, but excellent as is

Jonathan Ashton
04-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Lovely shot Steve, looks like the Yorkshire moors, or possibly Derbyshire. I like the setting and the background, you have retained good details in the wattles.

christopher galeski
04-08-2013, 02:32 AM
nice one Steve,like the BG,nice light,my favorite game bird,but for the shooting of these birds,we would have breeding Hen Harriers a plenty,and I am not a anti.well done.

Steve Kaluski
04-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks folks.

Regarding the brighter, OOF vegetation LH corner, I guess it's just personal taste, however an easy fix to 'knock' it back a bit, thanks for the feedback.

Yes Jonathan, spot on with the location, well one of them :bg3:

Chris, Hen harrier taking down one of these birds, now that would be a great shot and in fact I saw that in Alaska where they breed the HH to do exactly that.

Stu Bowie
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Hi Steve, if you tread these waters, you better be prepared. :w3 Great eye level perspective, and I like how the colours of the grouse stand out against the darker BG. Overall, well exposed on the grouse too.

Steve Kaluski
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
How true Stu, I need to post more and sharpen my game it appears based on recent replies, cool. :bg3:

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Hey Steve,
Yep....HAP are always here! Still and excellent one and usually.....I don't like OOF FG's......but in this one.....it works for me!