PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl - Tight

John Harper
05-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi There

Following on from my portrait shot of Bald eagle Cheyenne and Lana's suggestion that I try some more, I thought i would post this shot of Barn Owl "Avon" in flying display at HCT.

Now this wasn't a planned portrait shot, but was my more usual attempt of getting a sharp in flight shot of the birds and was using the 500mm wide open at F4. Hence no depth of field!! because the lens was pretty much at minimum focus distance of 4.5 metres (15 feet)

I know F11 would have been better ;) but at this close range it probably wouldn't have got all the head in focus anyway.

I love the detail on the feathers around the eye which is difficult to make out in the smaller version, there is also a tiny reflection in her eye of a back view of her brother "Test" landing on the Falconers glove.

John

EOS 1DMKIII
EF 500 F4
ISO 1250
1/4000 @ F4

Robert Amoruso
05-01-2008, 06:38 AM
John,

I think this one worked well and it is sharp at the eye plus an open mouth. The wing and body seem to have a green cast - almost like the BG color. Does it need to have a gray point set to remove color casts?

John Harper
05-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi Robert

Thanks for taking a look, I am not sure if the green cast might be caused by reflected light off the grass below the bird as I think it was only around 3 to 4 feet off the ground as I captured the shot.

I have had similar issues with my shots of "Frodo" the Tawny Eagle having a green cast under his wings. Blake had raised a similar comment about the green cast on that one.

Would setting a grey point get rid of it or would it send other colours off by doing so? and excuse my ignorance but how would I do that. :o

John

Lana Hays
05-01-2008, 07:45 AM
John
Maybe I should have bought a ticket to England rather than get the 300mmL IS f/2.8 after seeing this one. Oh...oh....oh what a wonderful up close portrait flight shot. I hope to get another chance at a captive Barn Owl next weekend. No flight but still....just to see one. I agree with Robert on the slight green cast. I do think that it's probably a reflection of the grass.

Daniel Cadieux
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Really nice!! I'm curious if there is detail to be brought out of hiding in the brighter whites near the forehead. The open bill is a huge plus!

James Salywoda
05-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Awesome capture and comp. John well done getting this one I agree about the color cast.

Fabs Forns
05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
This is soooo sweet, the details and soft colors make it special!
Color cast is reflection from the grass.

Doug Brown
05-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Just a super photo John! I would definitely consider taming the whites on the forehead, as that will only make a great photo even better.

Grady Weed
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Reminds me of a tanker airplane getting ready to land. Very nice details and the soft fluffy feathers around the eye is super. Would have been nice to see both eyes but you can't have it all sometimes.

Rosl Roessner
05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
This is a fantastic action portrait!
I love it!