PDA

View Full Version : zebra

peter delaney
04-05-2013, 03:25 AM
nikon D3 200-400mm 1;1250 f8 iso 640

wanted to create something a little different .. may not appeal to the purists ....

i wanted rich blacks and whitest white for printing ......

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I like the effect you were going for. Its very different. I wonder how it would look cropped above the nostrils or with complete nostrils if you have them?

Rachel Hollander
04-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Hi Peter - I've looked at this a few times and it feels sort of unbalanced to me. I've tried different crops and haven't found one I prefer. Cheryl's suggestion is a good one. I like the graphic feel to this.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi Peter, I like the idea and agree with Cheryl's suggestion to crop some of the bottom. I suggest at the point where the vertical lines on the nose converge just before the blank spot...Hope that makes sense..?DON

Anette Mossbacher
04-08-2013, 01:26 AM
Hi Peter,

I pulled it into PS and tried a few crops. I agree with Don's suggestion of the crop.
Your whites in the Zebra go up to 255! Not sure about that.

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I like the graphical quality here Peter.
The clarity in the eye makes it for me.
I would crop some from the bottom and LHS if it were mine...

Your whites in the Zebra go up to 255! Not sure about that.

He did state that he wanted them to be "whitest white for printing"...

peter delaney
04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone for input... the crop is very subjective .. this image sells well.. i have cropped many different ways to suit clients...

As Morkel pointed out its the graphical quality I went for when creating it....

thanks again

John Ippolito
04-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Peter, I rather don't mind the crop as is. Based on your stated goals of whitest white for the print, I can understand the difficulty of conveying in a 250k jpeg on the web (sans matt and frame), the impact of a starkly high contrast print in a gallery.
I was admiring a brilliant black and white piecea few weeks ago from the center of show venue. When I walked over and got my nose a bit closer there was clearly nothing but zone 0 and zone 10 on the print. (Pure black and pure white) It worked beautifully and kept catching my eye in the gallery as I walked around looking at the other pieces.

peter delaney
04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Thank you John ......appreciate your thoughts

Michael Rominger Jr
04-18-2013, 11:44 PM
I like what you've done here Peter. The crop/comp works ok for me but I also agree with Cheryl and wonder how it would look in a portrait orientation with basically a half a face/head? From top of ears to the mouth taking a little off the right? Just rambling and thinking but, I like it!