PDA

View Full Version : The Wave - HDR Pano

Michael Pancier
05-01-2008, 04:44 AM
I used Photomatix Pro to convert the raw images and I put them together in PS CS 3 using photomerge.

5d + 17-40L; f/20; 1/30; polarizer

Robert Amoruso
05-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Looking good Michael. I like the "tightness" of the image. I feel like I have to squeeze through it to get to the other side.

David Kennedy
05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Michael,
I really like the feel of this image. The composition leads to a natural "flow." My only nit would be the small area I've circled, which could be cropped out (or cloned / quick-masked away). Its a minor distraction in an otherwise well-planned image.

Paul Pagano
05-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Definitely an image with a lot of interest.....well done. The texture is exceptional.

David Kennedy
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Michael,
I just re-read your post and have a couple of questions: do you really use Photomatix for conversion of the RAW file to a TIFF, or just feed it TIFF files from your favorite conversion program? Secondly, do you do (as I do, on the rare occasions I make HDR panos) the HDR conversions first, and then stitch the images together? We had a thread on the latter topic a few days ago here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10237. You should definitely share your thoughts on the topic. Thanks!

Michael Pancier
05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Michael,
I just re-read your post and have a couple of questions: do you really use Photomatix for conversion of the RAW file to a TIFF, or just feed it TIFF files from your favorite conversion program? Secondly, do you do (as I do, on the rare occasions I make HDR panos) the HDR conversions first, and then stitch the images together? We had a thread on the latter topic a few days ago here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10237. You should definitely share your thoughts on the topic. Thanks!

I actually find Photomatix Pro as a great Raw converter for landscape files. So I load the raw file into the program and create pseudo hdr then I combined them in Photoshop CS 3 photomerge.

I sometimes will do true HDR for pano stitches. But it is so time consuming, I usually limit it to 3-4 image stitch. If the clouds are moving too much, then it is a futile process.

David Kennedy
05-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I actually find Photomatix Pro as a great Raw converter for landscape files. So I load the raw file into the program and create pseudo hdr then I combined them in Photoshop CS 3 photomerge.

I sometimes will do true HDR for pano stitches. But it is so time consuming, I usually limit it to 3-4 image stitch. If the clouds are moving too much, then it is a futile process.

OK, so was this image then not a "true HDR?" That is, the RAW files were essentially converted twice for the "pseudo HDR" you mentioned? Evidently, I'm going to have to consider that more often, because I had bought into the idea that different exposures are "must haves" for HDR and hence don't create many of them. It's nice to know you can get results like yours without that extra heavy-lifting every time!

Michael Pancier
05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
OK, so was this image then not a "true HDR?" That is, the RAW files were essentially converted twice for the "pseudo HDR" you mentioned? Evidently, I'm going to have to consider that more often, because I had bought into the idea that different exposures are "must haves" for HDR and hence don't create many of them. It's nice to know you can get results like yours without that extra heavy-lifting every time!

In photomatix pro, you can load a single image raw and the software creates a pretend HDR. If there are very dark shadows you'll get grain in the conversion; likewise I found the process did not convert bird images well at all; but landscape images it works like a charm.

here's a perfect example of the raw file unconverted and one processed in photomatix pro

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10092