PDA

View Full Version : Tripod or monopod for 500mm f4 mki lens

Simon Wantling
04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi all.

Id appreciate some advice. I've just brought a canon 500mm lens and I need to get a tripod to hold the weight as I think constant hand holding will be difficult. Gitzo seem the obvious choice but come at a high price tag. Whilst I'm raising the funds, do you think a good monopod would be suitable and can you use them with a manfrotto 393 gimbal head.

Does anyone here use monopods for heavy lenses and can you advise on a good on to get.

Thanks

Simon

Doug Schurman
04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Sure a monopod would work. When on a boat I use Giottos MML 3290B 5-Section Aluminum Monopod - Supports 33 lbs. I have used it with the 500f4 and a 600f4. It is a great value.

Marina Scarr
04-03-2013, 06:54 PM
With my 500, I normally use a tripod but also have a Monostat monopod which I really like and use with it on occasion. It's carbon fiber, very sturdy and is easy to maneuver. You can go directly to their website to get information about it.

Mike Tracy
04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Does anyone here use monopods for heavy lenses and can you advise on a good on to get.

Simon

Look on the sidelines of any big time sporting event and see what the 400 f/2.8's are supported with.

Feisols Carbon fiber monopod is a good sturdy cost effective choice. Wouldnt suggest using a gimbal and I tried just to try years ago. Never liked the feel of it and once you get the hang of a monopod you can look up or down without thinking about it.

Don Railton
04-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Hi Simon

I have a Mk4 and a 500 series 1 and I bought a mono pod (second choice) soon after because funds were low. What I found and did not like with the mono pod is the difficulty in panning up or down. To do this means stepping either forward or backward which I found unnatural and even difficult on uneven ground, and to be honest, we never bonded because of this. I think they will work fine in the sports environment where you are sitting on the side of a sports ground looking at players only ever running on the same level as you, (ie mainly horizontal panning) but where birds are flying at different heights etc... well, it soon got left at home... I know this is contrary to what a lot of those above have said but its what I found...

I have since bought a 5 series Gitzo and a Wimberley series 2 and that is great. No, brilliant..! I find it smooth and easy to track birds up/down & left & right and rock solid. My only difficulty now is the setup time if you have to be walking and something just happens to fly by, and of course the extra weight to carry. So I am now honing my hand holding skills and take the appropriate gear to the environment I plan to shoot at. I spend a weekend late last year at Conowingo Dam and the tripod is in its element in that situation. No aching arms and the lens is always pointing in the right place, more or less. Conversely if I am walking along the local marina wall climbing over rocks the tripod stays home and i handhold. The Monopod always stays home unless someone wants to borrow it...

regards

DON

Steve Kaluski
04-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Simon IMHO Mono's have a limited arena for use and you need to think long term and I do feel a tripod is the route to go, what make is down to personal choice and budget. The other aspect is what head to use too. Something like a Arca Swiss is light, good and flexible, (expensive), but it can at times be annoying if you don't lock it properly, or when carrying it on your shoulder, I have caught my fingers a number of times when it's slipped, not recommended! Therefore, bumping up costs you may like to look at Wimberley or (Mongoose if you can find a stockist).

My advice is to save and buy the best for the long term, it's an investment and will pay dividends, both in terms of usage/longevity and results. Don has given some good advice and I would second his choice of gear.

Be warned, once you make your choice you will then want to think about upgrading the camera body, this is an ongoing, rolling hobby so finish off all that DIY quickly!!!!! :bg3:

John Chardine
04-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Hi Simon- Tripods fill another requirement- that of a stand for your 500 and body. You may be in sandy, muddy or wet environments and I for one do not wish to lay my gear down in that. Or you may be waiting for hours for a particular photographic opportunity- either way a tripod makes a convenient stand to keep your gear out of the muck and rest your weary bones.

Regarding tripods, I would look at carbon fibre because of lightness. I would look at other brands for a more cost-effective solution. For example Induro make some nice legs (http://www.indurogear.com/products_catalog_Carbon-CT-Series-8X-Tripods.html) and the Jobu Jr. 3 is a great, light and sturdy gimbal head that would work perfectly with your 500.

Simon Wantling
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi all, just letting you know that I took the plunge and brought the Gitzo GT3542LS Series 3 6X Systematic Tripod. Very pleased with it and looks great with my manfrotto 393 gimbal. Any advice on how best to carry the camera and tripod setup. Over the shoulder?

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Any advice on how best to carry the camera and tripod setup. Over the shoulder?

CAREFULLY!

There is a nack, but hard to explain. Just make sure everything is tightly locked, you don't want anything to slip!. Yo might want to get a quick release plate too? There is concern that the tripod mount can unsecure itself and there is a plate you can buy from the states to lock it. Can't give you the link as it's a competitor here, but can PM if you want? If you do want to get it, let me know, as we can buy two and share the shipping cost???? :bg3:

Simon Wantling
04-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks Steve. I was under the impression that the new Gitzo tripods had a special system in place that stopped the centre plate coming off completely. That does seem to be the case looking at it.

Doug Schurman
04-05-2013, 01:47 PM
If it doesn't have the secure plate the most cost effective technique is to drill two 1/8 holes through the side and slide in a spring pin. Takes 5 minutes and cost less than $1.

This pictures is an example after it is done
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=349561&d=1317246162

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
That's fine Simon, for the cost of these 'accessories' it's nice to know they have resolved this issue, but have never had an issue with mine after 8+ years, good luck and enjoy. :w3

Mike Tracy
04-05-2013, 04:57 PM
The best way is to carry the lens facing down That serves a two fold purpose. It lowers the rigs center of gravity and also prevents flying over birds droppings from landing on the front element.