PDA

View Full Version : MAGNIFICENT SEVEN - SECOND TRY

gary ellwein
04-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Details below. I will attempt to enter this as a dreamscape. Six of the seven are sleeping and may be dreaming.

gary ellwein
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
I was so enamored with the magnificent seven title, that I failed to note there were eight swans. Perhaps the magnificent sleeping seven or the great eight? is the part of the aging process? Hope everyone had a good laugh.

Rachel Hollander
04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Gary - you could call it "Seven Swans a Sleeping." I like the choice of pano here but maybe a bit more on top of you have it. Nice rich tones too.

TFS,
Rachel

Cheryl Slechta
04-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Hi, Gary, I love their contorted, almost coquettish poses. I like the pano crop and agree with Rachel that just a tad more on top might look nice. I especially like the warm brown tones of the reeds mirrored on the necks of the swans. (You shouldn't have told us there were 8 - I never would have noticed. And besides there are 7 magnificent sleeping swans so that's what counts:S3:).

gary ellwein
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
A repost with a bit more added to the top. Thanks to Rachel and Cheryl for the look and constructive comments.

Steve Adkins
04-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Beautiful and interesting image, Gary. Rich, yet mono like shared brown tones, add to the tranquility. The repost looks good. +1 for the "Seven Swans a Sleeping" title.

Diane Miller
04-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice shot! I like the re-post for the top part but the reflections are cut off. I like the room they have in the original. You could have it both ways unless you are stuck with a certain aspect ratio, in which case it is to the detriment of the composition.

Cheryl Slechta
04-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Repost looks great, Gary:S3:

Dennis Bishop
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
I really like the golds and browns with the whites of the swans. The swans and their reflection make a triangle which probably adds to the appeal of the image. Adding to the top was a good idea because of the extra headroom. I don't mind losing the bottom part of the reflection, but I really liked where the bottom line of the swans was placed vertically in the original post. If it didn't have a negative impact because of the change in aspect ratio, I think I'd like to see the bottom lowered so the swans are pretty much in the same proportion to the height of the frame as they were, before.

(If you hadn't mentioned that there are eight instead of seven, I never would've counted them. And it really doesn't matter, but -- when I count what I think are necks -- there appear to be nine. Or maybe another swam in to join them because it's such a nice image. I'm going to check for more of them later today.)

gary ellwein
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks to all for your C & C. I will try a third version with the fore ground restored. I like this one. Dennis , you are right, there are nine necks. Perhaps I should look at my images before posting.

Paul Lagasi
04-05-2013, 01:01 AM
Bottom line lovely capture, works well as a pano..TFS

Christopher Miller
04-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Love the composition and peaceful mood, Gary. It looks rather like an old painting. I like the third version best. Well done!

Anita Bower
04-09-2013, 07:20 AM
I think you nailed it with the third version. Until I saw it, I was going with the OP as I liked the reflections. Good perseverance. I love those necks! Incredible curves--each slightly different. Beautiful dark tones with the swans standing out. Agree with Christopher about the old painting mood.
Re. counting wrong--it must be age since I'm having similar experiences. :-)