PDA

View Full Version : NZ seal

Don Railton
04-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Hi Guys first post in this forum, but don't hold back... Note to admin: For reasons I don't understand the return/enter button does not work in this text box but its fine in other applications. Don't think its my machine.. Found the seal shown on a beach in NZ during a recent visit. Lived in that town for 20 years and never saw a seal there in that time prior to this. In hindsight I could have used a little more DOF in this to get the nose focused (looked OK on rear screen), but I wonder if this image works apart from this?? the Black sand is a feature of the west coast of NZ. I gets VERY hot in the sun, to the point of blistering feet if you get caught out.. 1D4 + 500F4, 1/800 @ F7.1, ISO 800, Manual mode, eval metering. Hand held. processed in CS6, levels, selective colour. slight rotation leaving 90% of image. Sorry about the (lack of) text format again. DON

Steve Kaluski
04-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Hi Don and another warm welcome to the Wildlife part of the Forum. :cheers:

The first two things that strike me are, like John I, your image has an untagged profile, so it's looking warmer, just check your PS settings, I bet it's two unchecked boxes in Save for web. Then second and more important, is the DOF. Something like this you need to have nose to eyes sharp as the image is very much 'in your face' so to speak. An issue perhaps as you were already at ISO800, but you can push the MKIV quite easily to get more SS/DOF. I can see why you went for the crop, but an alternative might be to throw it off a central POV and place it more to the left, loosing the dead, OOF side of the seal, so it's coming more from the RHS. Also if you have it, moving the whole crop down so you have less above and more FG? Just watch the sand doesn't get too sharp, you may wish to apply your sharpening with various Opacity brushes.

Look forward to more images and participation on other threads too. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-01-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi Don - Nice to see you posting in Wildlife! You have covered the dof issue well in your self-critique. The eye contact is great and I rather like the centered view comp here. I agree with Steve that you could have a bit more below rather than above. Looking at the eyes, I wonder if slightly more cw rotation is in order. I hope to see more wildlife images from you.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
04-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Hello Steve and Rachel. Firstly thank you for the welcome. Steve, my 'appearance' in this forum is largely a result of your very comprehensive critiques, this is most appreciated. I'm pretty happy with Rachel's as well as we often cross paths in 'Landscapes'... Unfortunately, apart from a few Kangaroos, I don't get to see a lot of wildlife that are worthy of posting here so don't take it personally if its a long time between postings... I have another image that I think covers most of the items you mentioned Steve. I choose the OP because I found the nap of the fur lead my eye to the face of the seal which appealed, something this next post does not do so well IMHO. I also found that the colour profile was not embedded as you pointed out, fixed now... Thanks again to you both, DON

Steve Kaluski
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Don you are most welcome and what a great embrace of thinking, however with regard to Wildlife if it's only a few Roos' please post, as it's a very welcome departure and will help showcase the wonderful wildlife we have. Also I am one of many who hopefully will chime in with helpful, constructive points and I for one wouldn't say I'm always right, it's just my personal view. :S3: Also, FYI all my comments are based on applying the observations/comments to the images, so they do have some foundations.

I think the RP is where I was going, but with the eyes looking to the viewer as per the OP is what I think grabbed both Rachel & myself. Combining the two, and my original thoughts perhaps my comments are not working in relation to an alternative crop.

Please feel free to chime in on threads, as Andrew Mc posted a frog image which I think was extremely well executed and I feel was based on his Landscape thinking and composition which is rather refreshing for all of us on here, as sometimes you will see a different angle or approach to the subject. :cheers:.

All the best for now.

cheers
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Don,

I like your fur seal a lot. It put a smile on my face, but that was just because I remembered how bad it smells hanging around those :S3:

Steve & Rachel covert already all as usual. I need to be faster on the PC :w3

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Late to the party but good to see you in this nether region of BPN too, Don :bg3:.
I can't really top what the master of detail (Steve) and Rachel have pointed out. I do like the POV and overall exposure, and wish for some more DOF (nose!) myself in the OP.
Let's see some of those Joeys! :5

Don Railton
04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks to all you guys for the valuable input...! Most appreciated. I guess now I have to wander across the road and get a few 'roo shots.

Diane Miller
04-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I like the images! But aren't the ones with ears sea lions? Or is it different Down Under?

Don Railton
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi Diane

I dont know what it is actually...! I think NZ fur seals are common along that coast in other areas and I assumed it was one of those... I guess I will have to look it up now.

DON

Diane Miller
04-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I checked pictures I have of what was claimed to be Cape Fur Seal on the coast of Namibia -- they have ears. So I guess the ears / no ears distinction is just valid for CA sea lions / harbor seals. Live and learn.

Anyhow, love your Sumo Seals!

Don Railton
04-02-2013, 11:08 PM
thanks for the clarification Diane..

PhilCook
04-03-2013, 02:05 AM
I know the feeling well of not having the same exciting animals here in Oz as other countries, one can only take so many images of Kangaroos lol lol

Seal { pinnipeds } make a nice change, and like the closeup Don but do prefer the closer crop of Steves in #5

maybe I should post a few of our wildlife as well from time to time.

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Hi Phil, it would be great to have some new faces and images, you would be most welcome. :wave:

John Ippolito
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Don, I like the pespective on this one. More DOF for the nose would have been really nice. TFS this one. Look forward to more.