PDA

View Full Version : Indian Roller: Dorsal view.

Satish Ranadive
03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
This image was created in the last month.I liked the dorsal view very much, but it landed with head in opposite direction.
Hence I have attached the head from the next frame. Added the room on the top from another image of roller with right head turn.
Very dark spots from background were lighten and applied NR. Cropped for composition and sharpened.

ISO: 1600, 1/4000, F: 7.1.Evaluating metering. 550D, 400mm.

Thanks for viewing and appreciation. C & C are highly appreciated.
Kind Regards.

David Salem
03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Great subject, pose, color, detail and exposure. Beautiful wing spread and nice BG too. Awesome looking shot but Im not sure how I feel about the complete replacement of the head. It would make a nice print.

Frank Schauf
03-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Beautiful and colorful image.

vishaljadhav
03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Details are nice, the wing position is unique
I may be tempted to clean up the perch

Mike Milicia
03-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Absolutely gorgeous dorsal view with beautiful light and excellent detail!

Before reading your caption, I was already thinking there was something funky going on around the head ... there is an unnatural looking dark halo around it.
I think you may be pushing the bounds a bit with this one in regard to preserving any semblance of natural history.
Is this species even capable of that sort of head turn? And, even if it were, would it ever do it while spreading its wings like that?

It would be interesting to see the original. The dorsal view is so stunning, it may stand on its own.

Sachin Saraf
03-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Even I felt that there something seriously wrong about this image..Such a fine dorsal view...wish it did turn the head your way.

I tried to work on this image as well (Being out of action I am enjoying working in PS intermittently to hone my skills for now)..some clean up around neck and slight puppet warp for the first time

And Mike this species is capable of this kind of head turn but as you said even I am not sure if it would try something like this with wings spread..
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/106362-Indian-Roller

Mike Milicia
03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
And Mike this species is capable of this kind of head turn but as you said even I am not sure if it would try something like this with wings spread..
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/106362-Indian-Roller
Thanks for the info, Sachin! Nice job on the repost ... definite improvement but still a bit unnatural to my eyes.
Although my eyes have never had the pleasure of seeing this species so take that for what it's worth.

And I agree too bad about the head turn ... everything else about this image is spot on spectacular .. hate when that happens :-(

Miguel Palaviccini
03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
I have to agree with Mike's initial post. Something about the head turn really throws me off. The dark halo doesn't help.

I'd also be interested in seeing the original, as I have a feeling that even a non-ideal head angle may still be a stunning image!

Miguel

Robert Holguin
03-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Very nice shot.
Beautiful colors, love the wing spread, and nice background.
I agree on the head angle. When I first looked at it something seemed off.
Still a nice shot.

PhilCook
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Beautiful bird Satish, great wing spread and color....but I find it looks over flashed or something as the bird looks too bright and 2 dimensional. Hmmmmmmm....the added head reminds me too much of the once well known horror film " The Exorcist "....no working for me although the repost has helped a little

gail bisson
03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Satish,
I too, thought there was something weird going on with the image before I read your explanation.
There is an unnatural halo around the bird and it has a pasted on look.
Love the dorsal view though...
Gail

Satish Ranadive
03-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Thank you all for your feed back.I wanted know,whether it looks good or not.
Attached is the image before replacing head.

Regards,
Satish.