PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Plains Game

Rachel Hollander
03-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Taken in Etosha National Park, Namibia in August 2012.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 70mm
1/640
f13
ISO 400
EC +.33
HH from safari vehicle, cropped to 16x9, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, luminosity mask and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
03-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi Rachel, always difficult with a scene like this not to clip or truncate a body, so well done on that score. I also like the 16 x 9 format with the 1/3 - 2/3 split.

Regarding the image, I guess it's personal preference and how we interpret it, as I find the overall image a little 'bright', expected yes because of the conditions & time of date, stating the obvious here. :bg3:

I might suggest running another Lumo mask, I run something different, but along the same lines and dropped the Opacity. Then again, personal choice increased the sky which I felt had a better balance/tone with the FG grass????? Looking at the OP the sky does look faithful, just me questioning things. I then adjusted the Yellow in selective colour. This is probably way off, but I think it has some merit in raising questions and as to whether all or just parts have helped or for those to see the changes.

One question I do have for anyone out there, any merit in dropping the f stop to say 11, or increasing it to 16, forgetting the SS or ISO?

TFS
Steve

Andrew Merwin
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi Rachel, I like the image. It shows the environment well & the interaction between 2 species. I like Steve's RP because it is a bit darker. One question: have you tried a version with less space on both the top & bottom? More of a pano crop? I think that would focus ones' eyes on the ungulates.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Neat environment image and I do prefer it toned down a little as well.

John Ippolito
03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Rachel, nice job on the comp as mentioned above - Steve's repost gives it a better balance with the sky in particular. I like that none of the creatures puncture the skyline.

Anette Mossbacher
03-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi Rachel,

Steve gave you already all suggestions. Great image without any animal cut off. When I look at the shadows of the animals must have been + - 1-2 hours around noon, well done with that harsh light :bg3:
The grass, same I had. Thought you had a bit green between, but doesn't look like that :w3

Happy Easter

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Steve, thanks as always for the rp. I'll have to play with the image a bit more.

Anette - I was there in August (late winter) so very little green anywhere. You are correct about the timing of the image, shortly before noon.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
03-31-2013, 05:30 AM
Lovely scene Rachel...reminding me I need to get to Etosha! :cheers:
Having a feel for similar conditions in the Kalahari your OP seems faithful, though I like Steve's repost too.
Regarding Steve's question - I wonder at which f-stop diffraction starts to play a role with the 70-200mm. I think f11 has plenty DOF at 70mm for a scene like this? :e3

Steve Kaluski
03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
The 70-200f/2.8 MKII is an awesome lens and IMHO works well for a scene like this. I guess Morkel I'm trying to find the optimal f/stop for something like this. Therefore is f/11 right, or dependent on light f/16???? :Whoa!:

Davidwilliams
04-01-2013, 05:49 AM
I like the composition, but it appears a little washed out on my screen,
Not sure if its just me or the picture ?