PDA

View Full Version : Trochosa spp. Lycosidae family

shane shacaluga
03-28-2013, 04:35 AM
Here is a great looking gravid female of Trochosa spp i found whilst looking for spiders at night.

Lit this one from the side as my usual top lighting gave it a very flat look. From the side the eyes appear to pop out as they do in real life

Practically full frame just a tad cropped from the top

Its on a piece of cork bark i carry with me to raise the spiders off the floor a bit and get a more eye level shot

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8225/8596528191_4fbbc7cc70_b.jpg
Nikon D7000
70-300 VR with Raynox DCR250 macro adaptor
1/100
f18
iso125
Home made flash diffusor
Hand held

Steve Maxson
03-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Shane. Another cool spider and good use of the cork bark as a substrate! The side lighting helps to bring out the textures and you have good sharpness around the eyes and head where you most need it. You might try toning down the bright areas on the right side of the frame as the brightness tends to draw my eye away from your spider. I would wish for a bit more room on the left where the foot is almost touching the frame - because this is almost full frame, an option would be to back a little farther away from your subject - which would also give you a bit more DOF. Just something to try next time out. :S3:

shane shacaluga
03-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks a lot.

I am always worried that the eyes will appear too small especially with spiders from this angle as the front legs stretch out far in front.

Will move back a little next time ;)

Roman Kurywczak
03-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Hey Shane,
Great advice by Steve! I don't mind the abdomen going OOF....but for me....the legs going out are a bit much. Don't forget you can put on a 1.4 tele to get you back a bit more (if you have one).

shane shacaluga
03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks. Not sure i can use a tc on my 70-300 lens. Will find out though. ;)

Jerry van Dijk
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi Shane, good capture of this spider. Good idea to use a piece of bark to provide a perch. I do think that in this case, the piece of bark distracts a bit from your subject, because of all the structures and shadows on it.

shane shacaluga
04-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Ok thanks for the tip. Will find a piece of wood with a less granular surface next time