PDA

View Full Version : Anhinga portrait

Diane Miller
03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Shot a couple of weeks ago in central FL.

I'm curious about the scattered white feathers on the head. Don't remember seeing one like this before. (But then I haven't seen many of them.... I'm from the West Coast.)

Canon 5D Mk III, 600mm II lens + 1.4X TC. Big Gitzo, Wimberley II, ISO 800, f/10, 1/1000 sec. About 60% of original frame.

The limited DOF caused some strange iridescence-like effects in the fine detail of the lower neck. CA corrected for in import to LR 4, so I assume it was unavoidable. Further NR beyond default didn't help.

C&C always appreciated.

Diane Miller
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes, a better head angle and light angle would be nice, but it didn't happen (I even tried to get its attention for a head turn) and I liked the feather so went with what I had.

arash_hazeghi
03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
A handsome anhinga good details/exposure and I like the feather. I agree with your self critique about a better HA and having the sun behind you. One other advantage of handholding your rig is that you can drop down to your knees or chest quickly and level yourself with birds that might land closer to you.

TFS, looking forward to more

PhilCook
03-28-2013, 01:36 AM
All you could really wish for would be a better HA to show off that lovely red eye better....lots of nice detail showing and the feather is kinda interesting, I'm thinking this one may be a juvenile

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Nice Detail Diane and I like the feather in the bill. Agree about the HA

vishaljadhav
03-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Nice details in the image, the bird appears to be a young one whose first feathers are moulting off to get the final coat

Dennis Zaebst
03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
I like this image Diane. Terrific OOF BG with soft blue (waves?) in the BG. Very sharp, and the feather adds interest. Maybe next time on the HA, but it's very nice as is. Well done.

Marina Scarr
03-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Interesting colors in the neck, as you pointed out, Diane. Love the feather in the beak. Don't mind the HA on this one.