PDA

View Full Version : Cosmos Fence

Rudi van den Heever
03-26-2013, 07:31 AM
I have been studying the Complete Guide to Lumunisoty Masks video tutorials by Sean Bagshaw for the last couple of weeks - I must admit, I was amazed with what one can achieve with luminosity masks and surely understand the whole concept much better now!:tinysmile_shy_t:

A storm was building when I visited the in-laws over the past weekend in the town of Secunda, situated in the highveld region of South Africa (Morkel's backyard) - I knew I had to get an image of the numerous patches of cosmos (which is actually a weed :Whoa!:).

This is a blend of two exposures using the blue channel method as suggested by Hougaard. I used luminosity masks to tone down the highlights in the sky and to improve overall midtone contrast. Selective application of Hougaard's "glow brush" on the grasses and also using Hougaard's sharpening action, which improves saturation and diffusing highlights after resizing.:bugeyed:

What do you think...?

Equipment: Canon 7D and 10-22mm lens with circular polarizer.

Morkel Erasmus
03-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Nice Rudi - glad you found a good patch under some nice skies...how far did you drive out? I saw on the way back on Sunday that the patch we normally use has come into late bloom and is looking great! Next week's mission...:bg3:

This looks good - great spread of luminosity, though I might be tempted to tone down the brights in the FG a wee bit?
Your landscape processing is moving along nicely - I have yet to watch the tutorials from Sean...

Rudi van den Heever
03-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the input Morkel! Drove South for about 7km and found this fence close to the road through a farm gate...:c3:

Yip, the OP is a bit "over cooked"! Redone the whole image... An improvement?

Morkel Erasmus
03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Luminosity upfront is improved but you lost the nice golden colour in the top RHS cloud?

John Ippolito
03-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Very good composition, Colors, interesting sky. The repost looks good, but I agree with Morkel re: the RHS sky.

Don Lacy
03-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I like the second one better just ad another mask to your luminosity laver you used to tone down the foreground in paint in the effect to that area only