PDA

View Full Version : Osprey with Trout - Your Comp Thoughts

David Salem
03-26-2013, 12:42 AM
I had a great opportunity last month at a lake with a few Osprey hunting it. Got some keepers including this one as the Osprey hauls out this rainbow trout.
Posted this one with a tighter comp because I liked the impact it has with the water in the air and the Osprey and the Trout are pretty sharp.
Posted the full winged comp also for your comparison. Hope its Ok. What do you like best? Thanks in advance.

1DMKIV---700mm---f5.6---ss1/3200---IOS640---HH@1:30pm---40%crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. Appreciated

David

David Salem
03-26-2013, 12:46 AM
Here is the full winged comp. I noticed the it needs a little more on top.

Thanks for your thoughts.

David

PhilCook
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Interesting question and example David......I think the image with the Osprey showing only the thin edge of the wing it tends to look a little empty in the full wing shot as in #2, so I think the crop works nicer to show more detail and attention to just the bird/fish and could possibly go even tighter.

Great action shot either way

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Super action image David, I like the full version, a tab more room below and above would have been nice. I like the details and eye contact.

David Salem
03-26-2013, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the comments Phil and Sanjeev. I forgot to mention that pane #2 is just about full frame. Might have removed 5% or so.

Jonathan Ashton
03-26-2013, 04:32 AM
It's a funny world isn't it, I looked at the first image and thought what a shame the wing tips was clipped, I see the full frame and think it doesn't have the impact of the first! I think I would go for the first frame, it is a real attention grabber and the focus and exposure look very good.

Karl Egressy
03-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Fantastic action shot, David. I like them both; the full size and the close crop. Even the fish is in a perfect position, Great work!!!!!

vishaljadhav
03-26-2013, 07:06 AM
I like your thought of what creates impact, yes the #1 works for me more than #2
You have such a great image in the first place that both can work , only agree that the first one has bigger impact
Eyes of the bird and the fish have more impact in #1 so i like it more

Grace Scalzo
03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Probably a case where there is no one right comp...you can get several good images out of one. As far as impact for the web goes, the first one works for me, and you could even pull in a bit more from the left. Printed large, I think that the full winged one could be superb, with a bit more room all around.

Loi Nguyen
03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
David, I'm with Grace. For web, the first. For a large print that hangs on a wall, the second. Great action image. Love the details of the spray, but what I really like are the details of the poor trout and the water droplets. May I ask which lake was this taken? I've been thinking about getting some shots of osprey, but the only place I have ever shot osprey fishing was out East. Thank you for sharing. Loi

Miguel Palaviccini
03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
David,

I think the impact of the first is great! If you had a bit better IQ, I would suggest cropping in even a bit more. Wonderful capture.

Miguel

Sidharth Kodikal
03-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Awesome action. Love the fully visible fish and that the eyes are visible for both.
I'm curious as to how this would work as a vertical - cropping just right of where the tail ends on the right, and an adequate amount on the left. I suspect it'll better show-case the fish and the birds face (if IQ holds up).

Phillip Tomkinson
03-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi #2 for me it's a very nice image.

Phil.

www.wild-snaps.co.uk

www.wildsnaps-photoholidays.co.uk

Nick Palmieri
03-27-2013, 06:38 AM
I like the impact of the first post. Your eye goes to the eye of the fish and that really makes this work in my opinion. As others have said I think you make it work either way. great capture!

Satish Ranadive
03-27-2013, 09:54 AM
David:
Absolutely superb action captured.I like the OP with tight crop.
Love the pose,details,lights,lovely fish and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Don Railton
03-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi David,

I am with Grace and Loi....I think the first has more impact as presented while the second does not appear to have the same sharpness/detail in the water droplets etc.. The details obviously are there, its just that (I think) the limitations in the posted image size cannot carry all the detail in the bigger image.. Very interesting and a fantastic photo..

DON