PDA

View Full Version : Getting a leg up on the competition

Randy Stout
03-24-2013, 01:35 PM
I liked the perch in this one, reminded me of a knee. Natural background here, brought up by 'dragging the shutter' . This is as slow as I could go and still maintain sharpness.

D4 Sigma 180/3.5 at F.13 1/60s ISO 1600 R1C1 flash with two heads

Post: Small crop for comp, selective sharpening, toned down the flash specular highlights on the perch. The little dark crescent at the top of the wing is from a shadow on the back wing. In the raw file.

Advice and comments always appreciated

Cheers

Randy

Jerry van Dijk
03-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi Randy, this is a wonderful butterfly! I especially like the eye. I do think the wings are a bit bright from the flash, could be toned down easily. I also think the perch is a bit overpowering for the butterfly, also because it is still quite bright despite your toning down of the highlights.

Randy Stout
03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Jerry:

Thanks for your kind words and input. Just before I posted this one, I thought it was a little too somber, and had lightened it a bit. Perhaps too much! Here is a repost, with less lightening and I cropped a bit from the bottom and right to reduce the amount of perch.

Cheers

Randy

Jerry van Dijk
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi Randy, I like this one better. It does more right to the colors and the structures on the wing and is a little less "in your face".

Jonathan Ashton
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Randy trying not to read the previous comments though I obviously saw a repost. You say you dragged the shutter, this is precisely what I suggested in regard to Steve's last image:w3 The repost is really good in deed, I like the exposure and the colours are excellent. I like the background and the flash is well controlled. I prefer the composition in the repost - just wondering maybe an extra couple of mm extra canvas on the left?

Allen Sparks
03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi Randy,
I like the repost better as well for toning down the brights and overall composition. Nice sharpness too. well done...

Allen

Dave Johnson
03-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi Randy. I also prefer the repost as it doesn't look as flashed as the OP. Love the 'dog leg' perch and mottled bkr. Would love to know what "dragging the shutter" involves!? Super shot which I like very much. Well done.

Steve Maxson
03-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Randy. The butterfly gave you a really nice pose and you captured it with good sharpness - and a nice comp, too. The butterfly stands out nicely from the background - good job with the flash and ss to avoid a black background. I think the repost is an improvement on an already strong image. Very well done!

Roman Kurywczak
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Hey Randy,
late to the party but yes......repost works much better. I will say...is there an eye doctor in the house? Reason for that....just brightening the eye a few points will really make this shine!