PDA

View Full Version : LENS choice for gatorland?

Randy Stout
03-24-2013, 10:56 AM
There is a chance I will have a few hours to spend at Gatorland in the next two weeks. Having never been there, curious about best lens choices? Birds of course my main interest, but will probably drag along a macro lens as well.

Any other general tips would be appreciated as well, IE. best places for photography, light angles, etc. I won't have the time to scout the site,so want to be efficient.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
03-24-2013, 11:00 AM
I would bring a 70-200 and a 500/600 with extenders, extension tubes and flash. If you go anytime between Thursdays and Sundays, they are early and late hours. Wait at the gate at I think 7:30 and pay with cash, and you're in before any of the craziness and can stay late after the park closes. You will love it.

Randy Stout
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Marina:

I would not have thought about the extension tubes, as MFD is never an issue in Michigan!!

Is it in general a better AM or PM location? I probably won't be able to do both ends of a day!

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Both am and pm are very good so whatever works best. If I had to choose, I would probably go with AM.

Don Lacy
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Randy , The way the marsh is position both times of the day are good but like Marina I would do AM if I could only do one less people there.

Mike Tracy
03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
I guess I will be the odd man out but I have preferred the afternoons.

Arthur Morris
03-31-2013, 11:33 AM
I like the mornings better, BUT--a big-time bummer this year: unless they have a change of heart folks will only be allowed to stay late on Saturdays..... And that is even for folks with the Photographer's Annual Pass.

Jim Kranick
04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree with Marina. I like the mornings better.

Most of the time I use a 7D with the 70-200 with or without the 1.4x shooting the close nests. Or in the evening the 500 with 1.4x to shoot from the tower over to the nests on the East side of the lake. With my 5D3 I find I like the length of the 100-400 but by the end of the good morning light it has gotten heavy. Flash is useful to open the shadows.

From what Artie just said there is only one evening to stay late now :(