PDA

View Full Version : Along Murchison River, WA

Jerry van Dijk
03-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Another one from my trip to Western Australia. Murchison River has some very attractive landscapes to offer along its stretch. This is just outside the town of Kalbarri.
I found this a difficult image to process. The low but intense sunlight combined with the use of a circular polariser resulted in a very high dynamic range, with deep dark shadows in the vegetation and bright lights in the clouds and well lit subjects. Any suggestions for improvement are very welcome!

D7000, Nikkor 16-85 @16mm, Hoya circular polariser, handheld, ISO-400, f/14, 1/60 sec.
ACR6.3/CS5. Sharpness, clarity, levels, slight S-curve adjustment, S/H to open up the shadows. Selective brightening of a dark circular patch in the blue of the sky (as a result of the polariser?), cloned out some dust specs.

Joe Senzatimore
03-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Tough light to work with , but handled well. Might have tried to shoot it as an HDR. I find the partial bush on the LL corner a bit distracting.

Morkel Erasmus
03-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Hey Jerry. Looks like a nice spot for a walk...photographically it's not doing much for me, I'm sorry. The composition isn't really taking me there, and it's just a busy and a bit cluttered scene in general, combined with less-than-ideal light. :e3
I would have liked to see a view down the channel/riverbed without the "blocking bushes" RHS by moving a bit to your left?

Jerry van Dijk
03-25-2013, 03:56 AM
Thanks guys!
Morkel, I have some of the river channel, which I'll post later.

John Ippolito
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Hi Jerry, I agree with the others with regard to the composition, and tough lighting conditions. I would like to see more of your work from this area. It looks to have great potential.

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Hi Jerry - Unfortunately I agree with the others that there's nothing drawing me in to the scene or engaging other than it looks like a harsh environment. You did handle the light well.

TFS,
Rachel