PDA

View Full Version : Great crested grebe Podiceps cristatus

Jonathan Ashton
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Tripod Canon 50D Canon 500mm f4 L IS ISO 400 -1.0EV, 1/1600 sec f7.1

Podiceps cristatus - the Latin name's derivation is from old English "Arse foot". The term was generic for grebes divers and auks, it refered to the foot's close proximity to the arse!! ........ Not a lot of people know that!!

This image was taken some time ago, I have been singularly unsuccessful in getting any images other than garden birds recently so I thought this would make a change.

All comments welcome.

Marina Scarr
03-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Love wing flap, Jonathan. The exposure and details look awfully nice, and I love that pose. The head is angled slightly toward you and the red eye is showing very nicely. Well done.

Randy Stout
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Jon:

Very nice. They are such beautiful birds, excellent angle in frame, well exposed, comp. colors in BG. I Feel your angst about birds to shoot.

I was out scouting today for a bit, and saw some migrating water fowl coming through as the ice opens up a bit, but too dark and too far away for pictures.

Thanks for brightening my day!

Cheers

Randy

vishaljadhav
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Nice one Jonathan,
The wing flap makes it interesting and the head and beak nicely visible and sharp makes it lovely to look at, exposure is spot on
I like it

Sidharth Kodikal
03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the image and the story behind the naming of this species :)
You've captured peak action, and your techs are excellent, as usual.
Gorgeous fg, bg. I'd take this in a heart beat, but a lower shooting angle, if possible, would've likely been an improvement.
Does it need a CW rotation or is it just my eyes?

mohammad reza shahab
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
hi Jonathan,
beautiful pose,exposure and very nice BG.

Robert Holguin
03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Wonderful shot.
I really like the flapping pose, exposed very well, excellent IQ, and great comp.
Very well done.

Karl Egressy
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Interesting information on the name and its derivation. Excellent capture of the wing flapping pose. Great composition, Jonathan.

Bill Dix
03-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Great wing flap, and I love the crest and the eye. Perfect head angle. And great techs. Fine image all around.

dankearl
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
I think it does need a bit of rotation, but very nice light and the SS gives it a bit of motion.
Beautiful birds, I wish I had them where I live.

Frank Schauf
03-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Excellent Pose and light, good exposure control, nice comp and good ambient.