PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Skatepark

Phil Colla
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Growing up as I did in Southern California in the 70's, I am a kid of the skateboard generation. When I first set eyes on the Wave in Arizona, I thought "this is the perfect skatepark".

http://www.oceanlight.com/lr/ns/20614.jpg

The hike was considerably easier that I expected, and I've got a permit to return in a month so will be able to fix some of the mistakes I made a few weeks ago while they are still fresh in my mind and take a peek in Buckskin Gulch as well. What a great place. I've got some comments in my blog for those that are curious about the place and have not already seen too many of these sort of images.

1DsII / 70-200 / f/11 / ISO 100 / Polarizer / Av w/ +1 compensation.

Cheers...

Roman Kurywczak
04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Phil,
I like the different perspective that you chose here. Definitely looks like a skate park. May have wanted a bit more DOF.........but it does look very good on the monitor.......so maybe just something you can try next time for comparison,
Roman

Harold Davis
04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
very cool!!

David Kennedy
04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I was just out there and didn't even bother to try to get one of the permits that are raffled off because, evidently, 50+ people per day are showing up for 5 slots, and Dad and I would have needed two of them. I'm extremely envious!!!

Phil Colla
04-30-2008, 05:46 PM
David,
I think the key is to keep trying in the online lottery permit process. After thinking about how the permits are distributed and how groups of varying sizes are accomodated, and how there are only 10 permits per day given out in the lottery, and how there are "holes" left in the permit allocation after groups are accomodated, I believe that the odds of getting a permit in the online process are greater if you apply as a single person. (For instance, I got a permit in both April and May as a single, in spite of the huge number of applications for each of the days of those months.) Naturally, this doesn't do you any good if you aren't able to work with the date that you are assigned on your permit, but I just thought I would mention it.

One family of four that was there the day I was apparently got there permits via the online calendar, after the lottery had been completed. In other words, the lottery did not succeed in giving out all the permits possible for that day, which I found somewhat curious. I then heard from another person who had been in the walk-up process the day before that there were 70+ people trying to get a walk-up permit for the day that I was there, I was sort of blown away after hearing that!

Michael Pancier
05-01-2008, 03:13 AM
You must be in great shape. I found the hike brutal especially the dune climbs. I also packed a lot of water since it was so dry out there. Was there any puddles left out there?

Buckskin Gulch was flooded when I was there so couldn't check it out. You should check out Canyon X next time. Should be happening now.

Robert Amoruso
05-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Quite Beautiful Phil. I am very envious of all these images from there.

Phil Colla
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
You must be in great shape. I found the hike brutal especially the dune climbs. I also packed a lot of water since it was so dry out there. Was there any puddles left out there?Buckskin Gulch was flooded when I was there so couldn't check it out. You should check out Canyon X next time. Should be happening now.

Michael,

No, there were no puddles at all, nor even any "mudlines" where the puddles had been standing. The sandstone in the bottom of the bowl was pretty clean and made for good photos. I do a lot of running and swimming so am in pretty good shape, to answer your question. Like you I took a ton of water out there -- and drank it all! I think the water outweighed all the camera stuff by far.

Canyon X is on my list next time I am in Page!

Phil

Michael Pancier
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Michael,

No, there were no puddles at all, nor even any "mudlines" where the puddles had been standing. The sandstone in the bottom of the bowl was pretty clean and made for good photos. I do a lot of running and swimming so am in pretty good shape, to answer your question. Like you I took a ton of water out there -- and drank it all! I think the water outweighed all the camera stuff by far.

Canyon X is on my list next time I am in Page!

Phil

what got me was the altitude. just not used to it. I kept running out of oxygen especially after those big dune climbs like the last one before reaching the wave. I had sand, mud, ice, and water on my climb since there had been freezing temps in Feb.

next time I go, I have to travel lighter....

even the 2nd wave was dry huh?what a difference a few months make

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Simply awesome. Would love to visit one day !!!

Rich Ikerd
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Awesome image Phil. You've really captured the essence of the wave with this "tight" landscape. I've enjoyed your series so far - can't wait to see what you get from your next visit.

John Cooper
05-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Wow! what incredible design!! Well seen and taken Phil!!
I get quite envious when I see some of the landscape in your NP's

Van Hilliard
05-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Phil,
A great photo and a great experience. I didn't realize what you had to go through to get a photo like this -- and I'm not referring to the years of honing and developing your photo skills. I've enjoyed your work and the discussions that ensue.
Van