PDA

View Full Version : Typical him

Anette Mossbacher
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Lion in Etosha around 6pm, sunset just started. He was walking down that hill from the left.
Brought it in ACR, curves, Levels, Silver Efex.. done

MKIV
ISO 500
f/8 1/640
300mm/2.8 & 2ext

Shreyas Mantri
03-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi Anette,
Classy pose and I like the choice of the conversion here. A couple of suggestions:
I think you could get some more details on the beautiful mane, and a bit more sharpness especially on the face. Secondly, I'd rotate the canvas a bit so that the horizon lines up with the frame. Like you said, the Lion was walking down the hill, so the rotation would still give a good perspective of the descend. Here's a quick version of my thoughts! WDYT?

Again, great shot! Do you remember what area/waterhole you saw this Lion in Etosha?
TFS

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi Anette - gorgeous male and he gave you a nice view. I like the conversion and agree with Shreyas on all counts and his rp takes it up a notch. Also, I would like a bit more room below if you have it. I hope you got more images of this king.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
03-21-2013, 02:13 AM
Hi Shreyas and Rachel,

thanks so much for your suggestions and comments. Yes I have a bit more below, wanted to test your imagination. As well wanted to get the lion a bit more to the right :c3:
With the horizon looks much better. Thanks for that tip. Have to go ver it anyway for a few other things I have noticed.

Shreyas, how do I get more detail out of his beautiful mane? How can I accomplish this? A little tutorial would be nice.

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi Anette, I like the conversion and rather contrasty look & feel. Rachel has picked up my comment as you know, more room below, however Dan's RP in terms of rotation & crop works, so combine the two and I feel you have a real winner. Can't really comment too much on colour, but I personally feel the detail/tone in the mane in the OP looks OK IMHO.

TFS
Steve
Nice to see yo back and appreciate you participating in posting replies to other threads as we can ALL learn from each other. :cheers:

Anette Mossbacher
03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi Steve,

thanks so much. The tiny tad of the claw will show up with the next RP, but I really do think the claws are way to long of a lion :t3
Yes, color, thought I go around that comments, color here and there and everywhere :eek3: so did get you with this :))

Thanks everybody for all your nice comment s and suggestions and still waiting for the tutorial how to get out more detail !!

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Yes, color, thought I go around that comments, color here and there and everywhere http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/eek3.gif so did get you with this :))

Lost me on this one Anette. :Whoa!:

Anette Mossbacher
03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Steve, because it is always color I get wrong :tinysmile_shy_t:

Shreyas Mantri
03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Shreyas, how do I get more detail out of his beautiful mane? How can I accomplish this? A little tutorial would be nice.

Hi Anette, I see that you use Nik, and I too am a fan. In Color Efex Pro 2, you'll find the "Detail Extractor" program - simplest and efficient way to deal with hidden details and shadows. I used it selectively onto the Lion's mane, and hence the result. One can also change the opacity on the applied effect to the taste.
Let me know if you have specific questions.

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Shreyas apologies, I said I liked 'Dan's RP,' :Whoa!:, I meant to say yours, sorry.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 04:46 AM
Was waiting for you to post this after seeing it on G+...
Love it. Great mood, conversion (tonal range) and good use of higher-than-normal contrast. :5
I agree you could pull some detail from the mane, though the blacks don't look choked up to me. Easiest way is the "dodge tool" in PS, set it on "shadows, 5%" and then brush it selectively over the darkest parts. It's best to do this on the high res file.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 04:48 AM
Nice to see yo back and appreciate you participating in posting replies to other threads as we can ALL learn from each other. :cheers:

I agree, Steve. It's something we strive for here...

Anette Mossbacher
03-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Hi Morkel, thanks a lot for your input.
When I understood you correct, you want me to darken a bit more the darker hair of the mane. The once at the edge in the sky from his mane with sky in BG?
That is not quite clear to me. Have it open in PS for some others stuff I have seen.
Would be great to know which hair you are all talking about.
Sorry when I sound like a dumb head in this, but this one is for some special occasion which needs to be done to something more than just a winner :))

Thanks for all input.

Shreyas, thanks so much for Detail extract. Have the full bundle of NIK. I do know Detail Extract, used it here and there, but not so happy with it. Last Rhino had a HDR look, might applied to much, who knows. Played around a bit with it, but not happy with the outcome. There must be a different approach to that!

I am sorry that I can not post here so much. I try to comment when I want to post or sometimes in between, when I have a minute. Time right now is very limited for me. Glad that I do not use FB or Twitter to maintain all that stuff :2eyes2:

Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
03-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Morkel, 5% to much, found it out, 3% is better, now I saw what you mean. No need to write which hair lololol, I am a dumb head :2eyes2:

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 06:08 AM
Anette I meant "lighten" - hence I suggested "dodge" and not "burn" :bg3:

Anette Mossbacher
03-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Yep have seen it, thanks Morkel :))

Anette Mossbacher
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Here my RP, changed here and there a few things, did horizon line, brighten up the dark hair/mane. Sharpened in a total different way.
BUT when I did the horizon line I was not able to add the missing 2cm on his feet!!
I can 'plant' grass, but did not do that in this one, maybe later some time.
Thanks a lot for all input :bg3:

WDYT ?

Steve Kaluski
03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi Anette, looking good based on the restrictions you have, however I would crop with a bit more space above, looks a wee bit tight IMHO, something like this perhaps?

Declan Troy
03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Wow, this is a fabulous shot. I'm also impressed that some many viewers have the focus to offer useful critiques when I keep getting distracted by the wonderful image as presented. If pressed I'd prefer a less tight crop but the lion may have been too close for that option.

Anette Mossbacher
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Did you 'plant' now sky above the chap's head Steve? :bg3: Looks much better. Will see if I can accomplish that as well with the original :w3

Anette Mossbacher
03-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Thank you Steve, was playing a bit "gardener" planting a tad more space around the image. Added a bit sky, LHS and bottom.
The sky is IMHO not pushing this poor chaps head down, and he got a bit more space to look.
WDYT?
Sharpening I added the same like last RP

Have everybody a nice weekend, and thank you very much for all your suggestions :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

PS Shreyas, forgot, this chap I found behind the Newbroni waterhole, about 5-8km further direction main road to Halali. Met that pride all over in the area, ca 25km radius, maybe more! There was another pride hanging around Newbroni with little cubs, but always about 100-200m away from road or waterhole. You also will find the one I have seen direction to the Leeubron & a bit further. I assume they have been at Okaukuejo one night. They woke me up at 4am with a huge concert. Used the free entry concert for my shower music. There was no sleeping. They have been at the fence of the camp about 20-25m away from my spot, well and many others. You could hear people complain!!! and many saying wow. You know how it feels when a lion roars in full volume, the water in the shower was vibrating. Loved it. Should have recorded it. If you want more info, drop me a private line.

Shreyas Mantri
03-28-2013, 08:06 PM
PS Shreyas, forgot, this chap I found behind the Newbroni waterhole, about 5-8km further direction main road to Halali. Met that pride all over in the area, ca 25km radius, maybe more! There was another pride hanging around Newbroni with little cubs, but always about 100-200m away from road or waterhole. You also will find the one I have seen direction to the Leeubron & a bit further. I assume they have been at Okaukuejo one night. They woke me up at 4am with a huge concert. Used the free entry concert for my shower music. There was no sleeping. They have been at the fence of the camp about 20-25m away from my spot, well and many others. You could hear people complain!!! and many saying wow. You know how it feels when a lion roars in full volume, the water in the shower was vibrating. Loved it. Should have recorded it. If you want more info, drop me a private line.

Hi Anette, many thanks for the detailed info. I just posted an image of a cub that I found close to Newbroni while making my way towards Gemsbokvalatke (the home of 3 young Lion brothers). I believe it's the one from the same pride as you describe it. Date: 10/11/12.
It's ironic that people who complain are the ones who get to have such experiences, and not otherwise! Gosh....I could take a shower with Lion opera in background everyday of my life :cheers:

Steve Kaluski
03-29-2013, 02:57 AM
.I could take a shower with Lion opera in background everyday of my life

or even lying awake at night to lion & hyena :bg3: is this what they call, 'getting back to nature'? It's amazing the simple things in life that can make so many memories.