PDA

View Full Version : Great Horn Owl Painting

Mark Fuge
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
This image was taken on a recent visit to the Tampa Bay Aquarium.

It was modified in Photoshop and Topaz to give the oil painting effect.

Enjoy!

Cheryl Slechta
03-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Mark, this is lovely. I like the colors that you've used for the background and the matting. I'm not sure how you achieved that effect but it is very nice. Good to see you posting again.
(I had no idea they had raptors at the Aquarium!)

Nancy Bell
03-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Very impressive with those deep saturated colors, the black bkgd and the framing that picks up on the colors in the owl. For me the owl seems too tight and you might want to experiment with adding a bit more room all around before adding the frame. I really like the intense stare of the owl and the effects you used work very nicely on the feathers giving them texture. Overall this owl looks magnificently strong and powerful.

Dan Brown
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Nice work, Mark! I like the smooth texture.

Mark Fuge
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

Cheryl, it is part of their environmental education area. they have a mini marsh with egrets, spoonbills and other critters of the marsh as well. The raptors are kept caged, except for the program. As they would wreck havoc with the other marsh cirtters if allowed to be free. :Whoa!: It was our first visit there. But we will go back in the future. They also have a Great White in the reef tank. I presume they keep him well fed, as he did not bother the other reef fish or the divers that went into the tank. :e3:bg3:

Kerry Perkins
03-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Mark, nice to see you here! This is a really striking image. The owl looks like a painting and the image really shows the strength and determination of these birds. I like the dark background a lot. Nice framing as always!

Mark Fuge
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Kerry. Apprecate your viewing and comments.

Enjoy your new rig! :w3

Anita Bower
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Welcome back. Lovely warm tones in the owl. Nice processing work. I wish for a bit more space around the owl, but this is minor. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Lagasi
03-23-2013, 09:34 AM
I love this image, owls are always a favourite...like the effect, colors, matting...good to see you back

Mark Fuge
03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for viewing and comments.

One of my favorite birds as well and only the second time that I shot one. Though it was "captured" it was worth it.

I wake up to this every day now, as it is my background screen when I sign it. Wakes you up! :bg3: