PDA

View Full Version : The Smothering

Morkel Erasmus
03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
This one is for Steve...:c3::w3

For the whole story: http://bit.ly/LionKill

In continuation of the lion kill we saw in the Kalahari in November...I know photos like this aren't for everybody. I just found it fascinating to see how the one male, once he took over the eland (which was still alive at this point), started to play with it like a housecat would play with a mouse it had caught. Though images like this disturb those who don't want to see the antelope get hurt, it is a big part of the natural cycle of life in Africa, and story-telling images like this are what we wildlife photographers crave after.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 | 1/640 SS | ISO-2000
Full frame side-to-side, slight crop from top and bottom

Rudi van den Heever
03-19-2013, 01:32 AM
An incredible sighting expertly captured Morkel! The "circle" of life is cruel, but also very beautiful!

The soft light created lovely pastel colors here! ;)

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Oh wow amazing moment here Morkel. The wrinkly face of the lion and helpless limp head of the antelope tell the whole story. Well captured

Rachel Hollander
03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Morkel - this is great action, well captured. One small thing, there's a brighter, golden streak on the lhs that I would tone down.

TFS,
Rachel

Michael Todd
03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Awesome capture! I really like the lighting. The circle of life, some die so others might live. It is practiced by all whether they know it or not.

Tom Graham
03-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Went to the web link you give. Great photos and great narrative.
Tom

Danny Laredo
03-20-2013, 06:01 AM
Wonderful moment. Sure its not for everyone but thats nature.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Fascinating capture Morkel, you are lucky to witness it. I like the image for its comp, clarity and the intense moment it portrays!
great work. TFS.

Anette Mossbacher
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Wonderful image Morkel, I agree with Rachel on that yellow stick on the LHS, I would tone it down as well or even get rid of it!

Ciao
Anette

Shreyas Mantri
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Again, great series and story. That's how "they" dine in the wild :bg3:
TFS

dankearl
03-20-2013, 07:21 PM
A terrific action photo, perfect timing and moment captured.
A bit more contrast for me would make it "pop" a bit more.

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi Morkel, I like the clear view point of the image, and a fitting shot concluding an excellent series of images.

Just looking at the Levels histogram I just wonder if pulling back the RH slider to around 235, then adding a mid tone adjustment might go towards what Dan has comment on? Not ideal viewing on the laptop, but the mane looks a little crunch, I just wonder if it a combination of ISO & Sharpening? I just tried cropping a little off the top, roughly taking a line on the last line of your © text, it tends to give a cleaner BKG, but no deal breaker :w3

The expression of the Lions face and front paw over the carcass, the legs of the kill pointing upwards, jaw open all combine to create a poignant moment, in the life & death within the bush.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks a lot for your kind compliments everyone...

Steve, I already boosted contrast from the previous version you saw, and again was timid to lose that early morning "in the dust" feel as well. Will play around some more.
:S3: