PDA

View Full Version : Reich Falls

Andrew McLachlan
03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I haven't been around to this forum for awhile...sorry folks...been quite busy. Roughly a couple of weeks ago I returned from a 10 day stay in Port Antonio, Jamaica. This region of Jamaica is somewhat mountainous and very lush...almost rain-forest type habitat...and it did rain everyday, but only torrential downpours that lasted about 10-15 minutes and then skies would clear.

Reich Falls, also known as Reach Falls is located in the John Crowe Mountains on the Driver's River. After being guided up river to the falls I enjoyed a lovely swim at the base of the falls in the cool, refreshing river.

I thought I was seeing a color cast in the original capture and have tried to correct it here...

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D800
Nikon 24mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 2.5 seconds
Nikon Polarizing filter
After composing scene switch to Live View and zoomed in to fine-tune focus manually

Don Railton
03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Hello Andrew.

This is nicely done. I like the composition and exposure. Sharpening might need backing slightly in the trees above the pool (could be just the lighting though) but the foreground looks good. Was the cast Magenta? I can see a hint of it in the rhs upper fall. A very beautiful peaceful scene and I can imagine it would have been a very welcome dip you had.

DON

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Hi Andrew - Welcome back. Lovely composition and use of slow ss to blur the water. If it were mine, I would crop just a sliver from the bottom to remove the visible rock at the lower edge in the middle. I agree with Don that something seems slightly amiss with the sharpening on the foliage. Does look like a great place for a swim.

TFS,
Rachel

mikedewitt
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Well done Andrew. I like the composition and wouldn't change a thing.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 05:51 AM
I like the scene you presented here, Andrew. I do feel this scene might benefit from more local contrast - specifically toning down brights overall somewhat and adding some punch to the rocks by using the burn-shadows tool. I also see a hint of cyan overall - maybe just me - but would like to see the greens a bit more vibrant/prominent.

Welcome back - looking forward to seeing more of your recent travels on display here! :5

Jerry van Dijk
03-24-2013, 09:05 AM
HI Andrew, lovely tranquil scene! Good balanced composition with the falls in the BG and the smaller drop in the LL corner. Some good advice already given. I do think the image was a little oversharpened.

Joe Senzatimore
03-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Fine comp. and great ss. The falls in the back seem different from the water in the front. Just seems like they should be more smooth as is the foreground water. That is what caught my eye.

John Ippolito
03-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Andrew, agree with some of the comments above with regard to overall contrast. The comp is really quite nice, & interesting illustration of the effect of distance and SS on the look of the near and far falling water.

Andrew McLachlan
04-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks folks for the comments much appreciated!