PDA

View Full Version : Glossy vs White-faced Ibis

Miguel Palaviccini
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
This past weekend I had the opportunity to see a Glossy and a White-faced ibis at a very close range. Luckily, I was with some experienced birders that were kind enough to inform me of the differences. The main difference being the eye color and the leg color. There are some more subtle differences, but those change year round. I posted a photo of the White-faced here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/108694-White-faced-Ibis), and now I wanted to show the Glossy. Both are beautiful species with iridescent feathers. I hope I did them justice with these photos.

A higher res version can be seen here (http://miguelpalaviccini.smugmug.com/Avian/Recent-Shots/27947615_xkRgjd#!i=2411911314&k=tKDHh3x&lb=1&s=X3).

Shooting Info:
Nikon D800 | 500 f/4 +1.4x | Laying down and using the ground for support
1/1000" | f/7.1 | ISO 800

Comments and critiques are always welcomed. I learned a bit from the last one! Thanks for looking.

Melissa Groo
03-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Such a beautiful bird, and you have brought out the irridescence so well. I would say you are absolutely successful at doing justice to that. I don't have much experience photographing Glossy Ibises, but wonder if it's a tad too bright. Wish I could see the feet but not much you could do about that as it looks like they were submerged. It would have been nice to have a slight head turn towards you. A lovely portrait nevertheless.

Amol Khedgikar
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Beautiful bird, You got the perfect angle for the iridescence. Good low angle shooting as well.

BUt I think making it slightly darker will and some more contrast will take this over the top.

I agree with Gail about the head turn too.

Karl Egressy
03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Beutiful bird, nice pose, and colours, Miguel. Strangely I found an White-faced here in Ontario one year. It was a big sensation. I found the Glossy at Viera and also here in Ontario.

Frank Schauf
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details, a great shot.

Don Nelson
03-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Nice image - like others I wish it had a better HA.
there is a lot more in this image that a little more PS work can bring out.
A little masking, dodge/burn, levels, and some hue adjustment could yield something like this:

mohammad reza shahab
03-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Beautiful low angle shooting.great BG,details and nice pose.

gail bisson
03-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Lucky you to see both species.
I love your low POV and that nice clean BG.
I think the iridescence of the feathers is lovely but I find the OP needs a bit of punch.
I like Don's repost,
Gail

Gerald Kelberg
03-19-2013, 05:47 AM
Great point of view and the iridescence is wonderful.
I like what Don has done with the more contrasty version.
Beautiful bird and thanks for the explanation.

Best wishes,
Gerald

Jan Wegener
03-19-2013, 05:53 AM
very nice image, the re-post is a huge improvement

Miguel Palaviccini
03-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Don that is a huge improvement over my shot! I'll give it a whirl

vishaljadhav
03-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Nice one, this one we get at our place and always a difficult bird to expose, you have done a great job
love it, the details on view are fantastic