PDA

View Full Version : Snackin in Costa Rica

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-18-2013, 05:59 PM
I just returned from a weeks trip in Costa Rica for vacation with my husband but of course I had to spend some time shooting as well. I spent a day at the Carara Nat. Park with a guide and managed to get a few keepers. Shooting was very difficult as the light was so challenging. I used fill flash for the majority of the time but for this guy we got outside of the park and found a flock of these little parrots eating in the trees.I just grabbed my 500 and handheld .This was probably near noon since we were headed for lunch but I used what I have learned and exposed for the bright back lit sky since I didn't grab my flash. Although a high key image , I was pretty happy with this one.
Canon 1DMIV
500 mm f4 w 1.4x
ISO 800 640 @f8
cropped to vertical

Melissa Groo
03-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Are you sure you don't mean "I just returned from a weeks trip in Costa Rica for shooting but of course I had to spend some time for vacation with my husband as well"? Tee hee. You did very well considering the high, harsh light. I like the comp, the detail you managed to pull out, and the fact that it has the food in its claw and beak. What is that stuff anyway?
Can't wait to see more from your trip.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Are you sure you don't mean "I just returned from a weeks trip in Costa Rica for shooting but of course I had to spend some time for vacation with my husband as well"? Tee hee. You did very well considering the high, harsh light. I like the comp, the detail you managed to pull out, and the fact that it has the food in its claw and beak. What is that stuff anyway?
Can't wait to see more from your trip.
Haaa yeah that's it LOL Thanks Melissa

Jim Crosswell
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
These guys can shovel in the food non-stop. I like the behaviour, sharpness and composition. Hope you saw the Scarlet Macaws that hang around that area.

Frank Schauf
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Very nice pose and colors.

gail bisson
03-19-2013, 05:05 AM
I like the perch creating a nice diagonal line. Feeding pose is great with the foot on its way to the bill.
Light is harsh but you exposed for the bird really well.
Love that eye.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
You executed a tough shot well. This one is fun to view. Great work!

Stu Bowie
03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Cheryl, well exposed, and the colours do stand out against the high key BG. I like the feeding behaviour - looks like a greedy character, food still in his beak, and a foot full, waiting to be shovelled in. Although I actually like the inclusion of the OOF foliage at both corners, I can see a version without them, will then give you a full high key BG. :w3

Karl Egressy
03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Cute little guy. Excellent action shot, Cheryl.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks everybody.

Marina Scarr
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Love the behavior you captured here, and I think you did a great job on the fly, hand holding in harsh light. You made it work!

Satish Ranadive
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Great image.Very nice pose,colors and composition.
Love the inquisitive pose with raised foot,food in claws and beak.Nice perch too.

Regards,
Satish.

Peter Dexter
03-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Very nice capture in typical feeding behavior.