PDA

View Full Version : A RARE SIGHTING-A BABY Brown hawk owl

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I was fortunate to have seen this little baby owl in the rain-forests of Coorg, Madikeri, Karnataka, India. I have shot this with 500 II + 1.4 X TC III on a 7D on a Gimbal and tripod in poor light. I debated between slow SS with low ISO vs higher SS with higher ISO. I have both landscape shots and in portrait orientation with Live view. Hope you like it. I can apply another round of USM to the bird if desired. I have not cloned out anything as I wanted to portray the natural habitat of the owl. Converted form RAW in DPP, PP in PS CS5, NR, USM and levels n curves adjustment. I have more images of the same with different ISOs from 400-1600.
1/25
ISO 400
f/5.6 @ 700mm

Jonathan Ashton
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Sounds like you got it covered Sanjeev!! I understand your reasons for not tidying up the image and I agree... for the most part. I think if I am being honest that I would have to look at the green curly whorly bit, ok it was there but it is not enhancing the owl chick. Other than that I think you have done very well. I like the composition, just maybe I would consider brightening the eyes a little bit.

vishaljadhav
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Rain forest is always a challenge like the evergreens, the light is low and the birds are pretty
you have managed a very nice image at 1/25, i may try to get the eyes bit brighter in post if it can be, since your ISO is good there may be many more details that you may want to show there.
The composition on this one is pretty good Sanjeev, very nicely done

gail bisson
03-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Congrats on this rare find.
I like the image as an environmental shot.
I would tone down the yellow circle at the bottom of the frame.
Gail

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Sweet little baby and congratulations on the capture. Great job getting it nice and sharp at such a slow ss

Melissa Groo
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Nice job, Sanjeev! What a wonderful find, you must have been thrilled. You did very well with your constraints. I agree with trying to lighten the eye area just a bit to bring them out a bit more.

Jim Crosswell
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Well done under challenging conditions Sanjeev! I like the setting and sharpness for such a low shutter speed.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Here is a vertical comp pic of the same owl, also am including the mother of the owl for you all. She was constantly moving in and out and finally perched in a thick bush near the resort where we stayed.

Jonathan Ashton
03-19-2013, 04:54 AM
I also like the vertical shot and the curly whorly is not overhanging the chick's head:w3

Stu Bowie
03-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Hi Sanjeev, nicely nestled in the fork of the tree, and great that he is in the open too. Your OP shows the enviroment on how it is, so I would leave it as you have it.

Marina Scarr
03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Congrats on finding this owlet. Really like the environmental feel. You did well working with the environment which I imagine was not easy. Wish the eyes didn't look so dark.