PDA

View Full Version : Mankwe Hippo

Rudi van den Heever
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
An "unusual" image from Mankwe hide in the Pilanesberg Game Reserve, South Africa - Mankwe is famous for its opportunities to capture birds, and not necessarily this icon of Africa...

Equipment: Canon 7D and 500mm F4 L lens with a 1.4x converter.
Settings: 1/400s at F8 and ISO 100

Strangely enough, we had a look the previous evening at the world's most expensive photograph which sold for $4.3mil which you can find here http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/nov/12/worlds-most-expensive-photographs-in-pictures This image has some lines alright... with a hippo and an egret in the corner! I am gonna be rich! :bg3::t3

Morkel Erasmus
03-20-2013, 02:06 AM
I like the colours, layers and vibrance here Rudi.
I would suggest cropping from the bottom though to reduce the "weight" of the OOF FG in the image, perhaps crop up to the below the 2nd blue layer (taking off about 1/5th of the image).

Would be great if you could weigh in some of your own critiques on the images of others :5

Rudi van den Heever
03-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback Morkel! Was thinking of loosing some of the foreground, but was struggling to get the foreground lines and the hippo properly aligned with that fancy rule of 3rd's! Know that sometimes rules are there to be broken! :t3

Will try my best to be more active on the forum, but young parenthood and image processing do not seem to be the best partners! Should get some tips from you!:w3

Morkel Erasmus
03-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Tip #1: Don't sleep.
Tip #2: Drink coffee.
top #3: Don't sleep.
:w3

Anette Mossbacher
03-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Hi Rudi,

lovely image. Morkel did some good suggestions. For me the image is a bit over saturated/vibrance. I would pull down the sliders a bit, just me. :tinysmile_shy_t:
Here a RP

Ciao
Anette

Gen Benjamin
03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Love this unusual view of this hippo and bird. Agree with the suggestions that have been made and admire your creativity for trying something a bit different.
Gen

Rudi van den Heever
03-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Annette, the vibrant colors and contrast are what makes this image for me... :tinysmile_shy_t: