PDA

View Full Version : White Ibis

Richard Stern
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I took this rather high key image in City Park in New Orleans on a recent visit to that city. OM-D E-M5, Olympus 100-300, hand-held, 1/1000, f/4.8, ISO 250. shutter priority, EV+1.3, Raw conversion, curves, nr in LR.

I would have liked a better head turn, but I got what the bird gave me.

All c&c and learning points welcome.

Richard

Jeannean Ryman
03-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I like what you were going for here Richard. My first thought concerns the red cast in the shadows and along the legs and beak. I'm not sure what is going on there. It also looks a tad over-sharpened in areas. I like the composition and as you pointed out, we don't always get the head turn we want, but sometimes an adjustment of our position will help with that if at all possible.

Richard Stern
03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi Jeannean, and thanks. I don't know why, but something weird happened to the color saturation and even the sharpening between my computer and the BPN page! Perhaps I saved it in the wrong color space - I'll have to look into it further. Hopefully here's a better version of the same image.

Richard

Jeannean Ryman
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
The color is MUCH better Richard. The sharpening is still jaggy in areas. When I apply sharpening, I generally don't apply any to the habitat or background. I use masking in LR, and selective sharpening of the subject for final output in CS5.