PDA

View Full Version : a Dark Quiver...

Andrew Aveley
03-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Working on some images recently and found this black and white I created. I know the vignette is not for all but I am indeed happy how it forms a tunnel view......:) LightRoom 4

Canon 5d MK II , 16-35 mm F2.8 @ 16 mm , F 22 , ISO 200 , 1/250 on tripod with shutter release.

Don Railton
03-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi Andrew

Very nice. I am not a big fan of Vinettes but I think I understand what you are trying to achieve. Love the sun burst and the backlit tussock, I would tone down/clone out that tree off to the right to enhance the tunnel effect.

DON

Rachel Hollander
03-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Hi Andrew - very effective and the conversion works well. Nice elements all combine for a strong image -the silohoutted quiver tree, the sunburst, the dramatic cloud. I might try to open the fg just a touch more to strengthen the tunnel effect and lead the viewer in.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Hi Andrew,

This turned out really well...love the vignette and the sunburst. Beautifully executed!

Anette Mossbacher
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Andrew,

the tunnel view is great, love this conversion. Did you use Silver Efex as well ?
I might would bring out the clouds above the Quiver trees a little bit more. IMHO :))

Ciao Anette

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Great vision and execution here, mate. I love the "extreme" route you took with this - certainly has made me think about shots that I can try this with.
I agree it might be worth opening the FG details and uppermost clouds up just a wee bit in terms of detail.
:cheers:

Dave Mills
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Nice Image Andrew, I agree with Rachel's and Morkel's suggestions...

Jerry van Dijk
03-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi Andrew, great new take on this subject! Some additions to the comments already given: the heavy vignetting seems to have introduced a banding pattern along the edge of the vignette. Also, I would play around a bit with the center of the vignette to get the small quiver tree on the right more in to the lighter area. It provides a good balance to the larger tree on the left.
I bet this would look killer in color and without vignetting as well.

John Ippolito
03-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Excellent take on the quiver trees, Andrew. It is quite dramatic, and I don't mind the extreme vignette in this case at all.

James Fuller
04-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Very artisic...I like your creativeness as presented here! Might be nice to see a little more foreground detail if you have it.

Andrew Aveley
04-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Thank you all for the great comments and suggestions. I indeed played with the amount on "darkness" and this is the one I preferred the most :) This is a very personal taste thing so I a glad it has invoke opinion and discussion.

@Anette , I only used Lightroom with this post processing.

@Jerry , The original and print does not reflect the banding but I did find in the resize for web that there was some and tried the best quality to not have it show