PDA

View Full Version : Moulting Willets in Flight

David Salem
03-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Took this last spring at a local beach refuge. Even though it is a all blue sky BG I like the speed displayed and the two different wing positions. Not sure if this a male and female?

1DMKIV---700mm---f5.6----ss1/3200---ISO800---HH@4:30pm---25% crop

Thanks as always for looking ans for your input. Appreciated.

David

vishaljadhav
03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
interesting image, in terms of the 2 different flight positions captured here
the birds look sharp , feels nice

Stu Bowie
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi David, great capture, not easy getting two fast flying subjects in the frame, and both sharp too. Both flight poses work, but not sure of the sexes - sorry. :w3

Randy Stout
03-17-2013, 07:52 PM
David:

I agree, nice to see the two different flight positions. The left bird in particular is nice.

I would consider going a bit brighter. Comp works well.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
03-17-2013, 11:40 PM
tough to get two birds in the frame with the right pose for both, I like the left willet better than the right one in terms of wing position but overall not bad. Details seem to be lacking for both a bit...

TFS, cool chase!

christopher galeski
03-18-2013, 02:31 AM
great capture,well done capturing both birds in flight.

Jerry van Dijk
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Very nice capture. I love the light and colors in this one. The difference in pose adds a lot of interest.

Daniel Cadieux
03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Ditto Arash. Lovely light and I like the difference in plumage...

Wayne Richardson
03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Took this last spring at a local beach refuge. Even though it is a all blue sky BG I like the speed displayed and the two different wing positions. Not sure if this a male and female?

David

I would question the dating of the photograph as Willet, like a lot of birds, moult their flight feathers late summer into autumn (fall). For Western Willet this takes place between July and September, so they would not have partially grown inner primaries in spring.

There is little difference in the sexes, but females average larger & probably less boldly marked in summer plumage. The LH bird is basically in full winter plumage, but the RH bird has some worn summer plumage feathers.

Cheers: Wayne

PS: Nice flight capture!!

David Salem
03-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Appreciated.

Wayne, you are right and I must have just blurted out spring when it was in fact summer. Aug 3rd to be exact. Thanks for the info on the plumage too.