PDA

View Full Version : El Cap Reflecting

Lyle Gruby
03-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Shot this last summer from Cathedral Beach right at sunrise. All C&C appreciated.

Techs:
D7000
Tokina 11-16
f/16
ISO 250
1/6 sec

Don Railton
03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Hello Lyle.

Very impressive reflection and cliff face, quite majestic... Was it hand held? I ask because its not as sharp as I might have hoped or the sharpening is slightly over done. There is a slight halo on the LHS of the cliff face to support this. The shadow on the face also did not do you any favours as it looks as if you have had to lift this a bit and that left a blue tinge, easily fixed. Finally I think its a bit tight, especially top and right, however I have no idea what is to the right so can't really make any suggestions here.

Thanks for showing
DON

Rachel Hollander
03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi Lyle - Don has made some really good observations. My impression is that it is substantially oversharpened or something happened in the pp to create a pixelated effect on the non-reflected part of the image. I also feel it is too tight. Have you got any wider views? The strong reflection is great and definitely worth stepping back and reprocessing the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
03-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Lyle,

Agree with Rachel and Don's critique. Love the reflection...would love to see a re-worked version if you have time to process one.

Lyle Gruby
03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Posted right before I went to work and hadn't really looked at it closely on here. Def over-sharpened. Probably because I sharpened it for a larger display size before downsizing. I've got a little room on the left, but this is about FF. I could see a little loose crop, but the tightness doesn't bother me as much as it seems to everyone else. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Hi Lyle, good critiques above, I would add that there's also a shadow/highlights adjustment halo along the whole ridge. Nice scene and reflection, would have just liked more space all around. Worth reprocessing...:bg3:

Jerry van Dijk
03-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi Lyle, some good advice already given. The reflection is simply amazing! In the field, you could have made better use of the leading lines provided by the dead trees in the water, with a wider comp. I have the idea that the image has some color cast as well. I'd try other WB settings (a little warmer).

Julian Mole
03-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Hi Lyle,

Now this might be a bit more OOTB... but I thought the strongest part of the image above was the reflection, so, and I hope you don't mind, I thought I'd offer this repost for your consideration.

Original image cropped and rotated 180 degrees.

Regards,

Julian.

Diane Miller
03-24-2013, 09:50 AM
There is always so much junk in the water along that stretch of river -- good job of finding a clear patch and/or hiding it under the strong reflection.

Julian's repost is fun -- but now flip it horizontally to make the orientation right on a well-known scene, and you will really be playing with people's minds!