PDA

View Full Version : Great Spotted Cuckoo

Richard Unsworth
03-16-2013, 04:24 PM
:S3:

Actually two MATING, also note food exchange; shot may be unique for that. Avery interesting thing to see and tbh maybe first shots taken. These are brood parasite and will lay eggs in crow/magpie nests.

The bad news is SS held down by shooting into light and poor choice of aperture, f10, having said that at least birds are pretty good and came up inCS6

7d 100-400 f10 1/250 ev m me hh

Don Nelson
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
actually mating ritual, they aren't actually mating in this image ;-). is this pre- or post- copulation?
Very interesting action image. I would wish for just a bit more head turn on the lower bird and more so on the male. but they weren't paying attention to the photographer, anyway.
Great detail in the feathers, and the food item is an interesting focal point.

PhilCook
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Great timing and interaction captured, little bit of blur on the male birds head but impressive shot as such low shutter speeds. Understandably often one does not get to think about and alter camera settings for fleeting shots like this, many shots I take are done with less than ideal camera settings due to tiny windows of opportunity.....great to get a good shot of something unusual than no shot at all.

I'd be inclined to crop a bit tighter though

Nick Palmieri
03-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Nice behavior captured and the food in the mouth adds interest. BG looks good. I agree that a tighter crop may be beneficial.

Richard Unsworth
03-17-2013, 02:55 AM
Don

To answer your question Pre copulation, later frame shows actual act but IQ poor.

I may well get the chance to recapture with better settings over this next few days.
I will have a look at recrop

Marina Scarr
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Super behavior captured and I like the inclusion of the environment. I think you would be better served to shoot wide open to give yourself more speed to help you get your birds tack sharp. Did you add the catchlights?

Richard Unsworth
03-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Hi Marina-CL added, but then I found a Doug B method I am now using; dodge/low opacity/midtones that works really well where CL is present but dull. Thanks for your suggestion.