PDA

View Full Version : White-winged Scoter, female

Tim King
03-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Took this a month or so ago when the sun was almost touching the horizon.
ISO 1000 - 1,2000 - f5.6 - manual - HH
Absolute last light.
Lots of noise reduction needed.
I was really pushing the limits of my equipment.
I think if I dialed the ISO a bit higher then my camera would have exploded in my hands : )
50D - 300mm F4L IS + 1.4TCII

Karl Egressy
03-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Excellent light, perfect shooting angle and eye contact.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Sweet light, excellent flight pose and exposure. Very nice NR job. Love those feet and the tail feathers.

Don Nelson
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Excellent composition and lighting, in spite of the camera nearly exploding ( love that comment -- we've all pushed our equipment to the limits. You've done it well).

Arthur Morris
03-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Love the detail in the body and the near underwing. I wish for a better far wing position. I am pretty positive that you could open up the face for a lot more detail without making it look funky. Let me know if you would like some help or some suggestions. All in all there are not many decent flight images of this species so kudos on this one.

Frank Schauf
03-17-2013, 01:40 AM
Great light and flight pose.

Shawn Zierman
03-17-2013, 03:10 AM
The light quality and colors are excellent. I also like the chop in the water. You did a very nice job with the NR.

christopher galeski
03-17-2013, 06:01 AM
nice flight pose,great light,sharp,good detail.

Tim King
03-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Love the detail in the body and the near underwing. I wish for a better far wing position. I am pretty positive that you could open up the face for a lot more detail without making it look funky. Let me know if you would like some help or some suggestions. All in all there are not many decent flight images of this species so kudos on this one.

Good point, Arthur. I dodged the face at 25% with 100% hardness to stay in the lines, and then I spothealled the cheeks behind the eye to remove the patches.
The sun was at my back and the bird was at my 2 o'clock position which kept some of the light off of its face. Thanks.

David Salem
03-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Great shot. Love the angle,exposure,water color and detail. The repost helped and was going to mention lightening up the head until I saw the RP. Good job on the high ISO. Nice work.

Arthur Morris
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Better, but you need to be careful with the light patches on the cheek. I am a big fan of clean-up but I believe that in this case that they are developing field marks.... For the repost here I used NIK COlor Efex Pro Detail Extractor painted in at about 50% on the face with a Hide-all mask.

Tim King
03-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Better, but you need to be careful with the light patches on the cheek. I am a big fan of clean-up but I believe that in this case that they are developing field marks.... For the repost here I used NIK COlor Efex Pro Detail Extractor painted in at about 50% on the face with a Hide-all mask.

I like your head better than mine but I'm not too excited about the far wing being highlighted (maybe a tad less?). But good pointers and thanks for the help once again.

Arthur Morris
03-18-2013, 04:41 AM
YAW. I agree that I lightened the far wing a bit too much. Do you have NIK Color Efex Pro?

Tim King
03-18-2013, 08:20 AM
YAW. I agree that I lightened the far wing a bit too much. Do you have NIK Color Efex Pro?
I do not have NIK software. I'm not too technical when it comes to PP and probably won't use it. A friend of mine has it but never uses it, he says. And others swear by it.... Since you've done a pretty good job lighting up the face, I might d/l a trial version and give it a test drive. Any good tutorial videos you can recommend?