PDA

View Full Version : Ring-billed Gull - First winter

Dennis Zaebst
03-15-2013, 09:26 PM
This was taken in March 2012 near Blind Pass, the beach area between Sanibel and Captiva. Although it's a relatively static subject, I thought the environment and light were great. It was hazy bright, but late morning.

Canon 7D, ISO 400
EF 500 mm f/4L IS + EF 1.4x TC II
1/4000 sec. @ f/7.1

This is full frame and original aspect ratio. Because of the off-angle sun, I used shadow slider to enhance shadows, and some sharpening of subject, plus enhanced the iris. That's about it.

C&C are encouraged and welcome.

Shawn Zierman
03-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Great scene, particularly with the large shell...the way you composed the scene works well imo.
I prefer direct frontlighting most of the time, and it's no exception here. Good job on getting down low.

Marina Scarr
03-16-2013, 06:51 AM
My favorite things about this image are the line the diagonal line that the water makes in the sand and the way the water appears to drop off. It's nice to see the shell in the image. The lighting does hurt here.

gail bisson
03-16-2013, 10:49 AM
I can see why you like this.
The seagreens and blues in the BG are lovely.
Love the low POV.
The diagonal line of foam makes for some really nice lines.
I would reduce the brightness by a bit and add 2 points of blacks to the neutrals in selective coloring in Photoshop to make the bird pop a bit more.
gail

Dennis Zaebst
03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks Gail...some good suggestions. I'll try it and repost. Thank you again!

Dennis Zaebst
03-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I reduced exposure in post about 0.12 stops in LR 4.3, then enhanced blacks and contrast a bit. It certainly enhanced the blues and greens in the BG, and has a bit more pop. I also did a third with an intermediate set of adjustments between this one and the OP. I think this one was the best, although if you think I overdid it, I can repost the intermediate.

Thanks!

PhilCook
03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Nice one Dennis, great low angle and head angle, liking natural backdrop and just a good amount of blur to it.

Repost looks better as it tends to make the image a bit more 3D looking with the slight darkening here and there