PDA

View Full Version : Weevil

Inge Schepers
04-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone,

It has taken me a long time to figure out how to edit in Photoshop in such a way that I can actually see what my image is going to look like after exporting it for the web. On my screen, it looks the way it should now, I hope you guys see (almost) the same colors. :)

Anyway, now that I think my images finally look the way they should in a web browser, I would like to post this photo of a weevil. I couldn't decide whether I wanted a little more space on the left, or whether I wanted to show how it got to where it was when the photo was taken. I decided on the latter. Also because the space on the left would have been very empty and it's not like the weevil could have gone much further wihout falling.

The photo was taken on a sunny day (last weekend) in the late afternoon, with my 30D camera, and Canon 100mm macro lens. Since I don't have a tripod yet that can go very low, I had to shoot it by hand. Shot at 1/200 sec. and F7.1.

Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions!

Inge

Julie Kenward
04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
I really like this image! The BG is nice, the crop is good (might like just a smidge more on the left side). Your subject is crisp and detailed. It would have been fabulous if you could have gotten him head-on, though. I bet that would have been a scary looking tongue coming at your lens!

Inge Schepers
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the nice comment Julie. Actually, I did try to get it head on. :) However, it didn't look so great. Just a very small, flat head and an out-of-focus tongue and body, as I couldn't get enough depth of field. There was a little bit of wind. I could have gone for a higher ISO value, but then I would have ended up with a very noise image. This one was shot at ISO 400, if I remember correctly.

Robert Amoruso
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice to see this here Inge after all your JPG troubles. Good to see that sorted out.

I like this just as presented.

Roman Kurywczak
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Inge, I may have liked a little more profile......but the BG and lighting are very nice,
roman

Gus Cobos
04-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi Inge,
I like your image; it has very nice colors and good details...:) My recommendation on this one is to move that leaf away from the intersection of your lower right frame..would move it up just a tad...:cool:

Robert O'Toole
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Great image Inge, the way the weevil is out on the end creates a an interesting comp and it works really well. I really like the colors, BG, sharpness.

The upper right corner could be lightened a bit to balance the tones.

Robert

Inge Schepers
05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. I agree on the upper right corner. It would look nicer if it were a bit lighter. I think I am going to get a print of this one. If I do, I will make sure to take care of the upper right corner.

Inge

Mike Moats
05-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey Inge, super detail and great job on the BG. Well done.

John Cooper
05-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi Inge. I like the composition that you have chosen here - showing the path travelled by this tiny critter!!

Nice exposure, colour rendition and detail - great effort for hand-held!!