PDA

View Full Version : Malachite butterfly

Steve Maxson
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
This Malachite Butterfly (Siproeta stelenes) was photographed at the Green Hills Butterfly Farm in Belize. Our workshop group was allowed to use tripods. Fortunately, it was cool (for Belize), calm, and overcast so we could use natural light rather than flashes. 1D 4, 100 mm macro, 1/80, f/4.5, ISO 400, tripod, cable release, live view focus on the eye, natural light. I toned down some of the brighter areas of the background and applied nr to the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Randy Stout
03-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Steve:

Lovely butterfly, sharp, and remarkably good DOF for that f/stop. Because I can't use a tripod where I shoot, I am always having to use a smaller f/stop to have any chance of getting the hold butterfly in my dof while handheld.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
03-17-2013, 06:43 AM
This is a gem, the colours are beautiful, the DOF is almost perfect. I suppose it is always easy in hind site but I suspect the DOF at 5.6 and a slightly higher ISO would have just about perfectly nailed it. I would give you 95%:w3

Allen Sparks
03-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi Steve,
Another awesome image... DOF looks great and sharpness is spot on. Great BG too. Very nice.

Allen