PDA

View Full Version : Purple Sandpiper - Stepping into the Abyss

Bill Dix
03-14-2013, 09:03 AM
While trying to capture Long-tailed Ducks at Barnegat the other day, I noticed a Purple Sandpiper showing himself intermittently among the rocks. I wedged myself awkwardly between boulders on the jetty in what I thought was his general vicinity (my septuagenarian body doesn't bend as well as it used to). He cooperated by popping up closer than I had expected, to the point that I was lucky to fit him into the frame. In fact, I clipped his tail just slightly on this frame, but liked the raised foot so I borrowed a slivver from another frame. Also added canvas top and right to give him some room. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 800, 1/3200s @ f/8 manual. Gitzo and Mongoose.

Karl Egressy
03-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Excellent pose and IQ, Bill. One day I might catch up with one of these birds here in Ontario. (very rare)

gail bisson
03-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Man, this is nice.
The raised foot and subdued hues of color really appeal to me. Love the film of clear water on the rock.
Good title.
Excellent PP work. I can't tell at all what you did,
gail

vishaljadhav
03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Wonderful image, the raised foot really makes it very interesting, details are nice
I like the water in the bg and the one on the rock, nice choice to add the canvas .
Very nicely done

prasanna av
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
loved the over all effect here.

David Salem
03-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Great colors on this one and the exposure and details look great. The BG complements the bird nicely and I like the raised foot. Well done

Grace Scalzo
03-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Sweet! Excellent PS work, the stepping pose is cute. Droplets on his body are nice details.

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I like this lots. Good fieldcraft and the processing is seamless. I agree the raised foot of of interest. Great work Bill!

Stu Bowie
03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi Bill, I like the eye level capture in this, and well timed to capture the raised foot. Good all round detail on the bird, and that BG is so sweet.

Richard Unsworth
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Great PP, very good pose, composition, especially like those water drops.That rock looks very slippery!

PhilCook
03-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Nice PS edit with canvas extension Bill, sits in the frame perfectly now, sharp details and contrasting very nicely against the darker backdrop.....liking the raised foot a lot...was he doing the " Chicken Dance "

Shawn Zierman
03-15-2013, 03:26 AM
Impressive image and impressive vocabulary!....(septuagenarian...time to dig out the Websters!)
I enjoy the light quality, low angle, subject movement, sharply rendered details, and yes, impressive
PP work. ( I think I can make out the seam on the perch surface, but otherwise brilliant). Also, I
like that glassy liquid rock surface...

Bill Dix
03-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.