PDA

View Full Version : Snowy owl

Grace Scalzo
03-14-2013, 08:12 AM
One of my habits is to look at files from prior years to remind myself of possible subjects and locations for the current year. Came across this image from 2009 that I overlooked. Processed it quickly (levels, sharpened) and felt it is a worthy keeper. Slight trim from the right.

1/1250, f8, iso400
Canon 50D, 500f4 + 1.4tc

Karl Egressy
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Grace said: "One of my habits is to look at files from prior years to remind myself of possible subjects and locations for the current year."
I do exactly the same, Grace.
Nice turning and slightly banking pose with fanned tail.

gail bisson
03-14-2013, 09:20 AM
This is really nice Grace.
Nice diagonal line created by the wings and I like the view of the underwing.
Nice blue sky and light as well.
Looks like his feet could use a bit of soap and water!
gail

vishaljadhav
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Nice one here, the flight position looks extremely good
Good exposure of the whites

Melissa Groo
03-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Super pose, composition, and exposure, Grace. Not often do we see a shot like this of one in flight coming towards you unless it's been baited, which I'm pretty sure this is not. Makes it all the more special. I think I see a faint white halo along the underside of the wings and tail, but it could be my eyes. Wonder if anyone else sees this.

David Salem
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice find in the vault. Like the banking pose and the fact that we can see the eye. Exposure looks good and I like the comp that you chose. Nice!

Grace Scalzo
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Melissa, Thanks, never baited...I'm not judging, just not a practice that fits my comfort zone. We each have to make our own decisions baiting. One photographer was approaching the bird from the North, I assumed that the owl was going to fly, so I guessed at the flight path and positioned myself accordingly. For once it worked out. You have hawk eyes. I don't see the halo, but I took the lazy way out and opened up the shadows a bit in PS, which can lead to a halo, so you are probably right. Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
It certainly is a keeper. Nice banking flight image and I love the sunlight illuminating the leading edge of the wings. The slightly curled primary tips are neat. I often sort my previous years' photos by date to "scout" subjects for the time of year too!:S3:

Stu Bowie
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Grace, just love this diagonal banking pose, and the light is cast on the eye nicely. I do like the view of the fanned tail, and overall, the whites look good and well exposed.

Don Nelson
03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
excellent banking shot with excellent whites - especially the leading edge. The P1-P5 splayed isn't something I've seen in most SNOW flight images . I like this one -- you definitely scored by going back to the files. (And a great suggestion for me to do, as well. thanks)

Richard Unsworth
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Professional well predicted shot; I see a very faint halo but doesn't bother me.
Lovely angle at capture, nice face and eye with a very determined look.

Shawn Zierman
03-15-2013, 03:31 AM
Very nice light quality. It's a sharp snowy owl in flight with a solid flight pose...can you go wrong there?
Not usually :) Compositionally, I think another version with more emphasis on the negative space on the left
(bird pushed towards the right side), is worth considering...particularly given the great diagonal line of the wings.