PDA

View Full Version : Keel-billed Toucan stretched out

Bill Holsten
03-13-2013, 11:53 PM
This is nearly the full frame with a bit removed from top and bottom to emphasize the stretch. Photographed last month in northern Costa Rica on workshop with Greg Basco and Doug Brown.

EOS 1D Mark IV, 500mm, 1/300", f/7.1, ISO 800, fill flash, tripod

Comments and critique welcome and encouraged.

Bill

Sidharth Kodikal
03-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Stunning setup, Bill. There's nothing not to love about this one. Excellent pose, bg, perch, details, exposure... Especially love the eye contact.
How was the bird attracted to your perch?

Frank Schauf
03-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Excellent details, love the perch, great pose, very nice background, and nice colors.

PhilCook
03-14-2013, 02:51 AM
My bottom jaw just hit the desk !..absolutely outstanding in every respect........curious about the perch, is it natural or pimped up a little as the small Bromeliad plants either side look placed.

Shawn Zierman
03-14-2013, 04:15 AM
Yowser! The perch is almost as great as the subject.
You definitely got your money's worth on this image. Great shot!

christopher galeski
03-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Beautiful image,great colors,nice perch and BG,sharp with great details.well done.

mohammad reza shahab
03-14-2013, 06:20 AM
great pose,perch and very nice background, Excellent details.

Grace Scalzo
03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Wonderful! Great colors, perch, and vegetation. Love this one!

Bill Dix
03-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Just stunning. Pose and perch superb, fill flash work is excellent, as are exposure and comp. Colors to die for. When I quickly skimmed Sidharth's comment above, I thought it said "How was the bird attached to the perch." That almost seemed fitting.

Karl Egressy
03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Great looking bird on a very nice perch, Bill Love the colours, pose and composition.

gail bisson
03-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I love the blue feet and that way the vine is wrapped around the branch. At first I thought it was a snake.
Beautiful image and agree with all the above comments,
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Oh yeah, that is a highly successful image Bill! Well done on all counts here...subject, perch, BG, techs and processing. Two thumbs way up from me!!

Bill Holsten
03-14-2013, 09:56 AM
The perch branch, that you see, was fastened to and extended laterally out about 8' from a heavy vertical pole embedded in the ground. A bunch of ripe bananas was attached to the vertical pole at the point where it intersected the perch branch. Although this was about 12' off the ground, it was at eye level for the photographers who were standing on an adjacent deck (under cover). The challenge was to make your image just as the birds flew in to the perch and before they dove into the ripe bananas. We probably photographed 15 or more species of fruitivors(sp?) (toucans, aracaris, parrots, parakeets, oropendolas, thrushes, woodpeckers, honeycreepers, tanagers, etc) on this perch. I don't know if the bromeliads were rooted on the perch or not, although I thought they were.

Melissa Groo
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Just exquisite! That intent pose, the shots of color all over, the twisty perch, the expert techs. Doesn't get much better than this.

David Salem
03-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Awesome!! The colors, detail and beautiful perch make for a simply stunning shot. Very well done.

Steve Maxson
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi Bill. We must have been standing next to each other that morning - I have an image (not yet processed) that looks very similar to this. :S3: This bird gave you a great pose on an interesting perch. Very nice comp and sharpness. You might consider backing off the saturation just a bit. Overall, an excellent image!

Doug Brown
03-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Everything came together for you on this one Bill! Congrats on a fine image!

Richard Unsworth
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Lovely Keel billed frame, notorious for those difficult blacks.

vishaljadhav
03-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Bill,
Thanks for letting know the setup , i heard it before from a friend Vikram who is on this forum and visited the place bit before you, the bromeiads looks ground in there .

THis is a superb execution with classical control on the colors, its always a issue with so many colors to blow the brighter once however this has been perfectly done, lovely image here.

Bill Holsten
03-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks to all of you who viewed this image and especially to those who took the time to comment.

Bill

Corey Hayes
03-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Love this shot!

Katie Rupp
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
This may be the best Keel-billed Toucan image I've seen so far, Bill! I love the perch, the pose, the perfect exposure and the composition. Big Congrats on this one and also for the Orange-cheeked Parakeet which was also stunning and the photoshop work on the bill is very impressive.

Sounds like it was a good trip this year; sorry I couldn't make it.

Regards,

Katie

vikram potdar
03-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi Bill, Wonderful image. The unique perch adds grace to the image. Though it is a set up it is not easy to make good images and capture perfect poses of the birds and also to avoid human elements. This has come out very nicely especially the yellow part as it tends to get overexposed in such conditions when you use fill flash.