PDA

View Full Version : EOS 7D Error 30-Pl help

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-13-2013, 11:31 PM
My 7D is about 3 year old, has done 20,000 shots or so. Am getting an error 30 message, typically in LV or in portrait orientation. Seems like a shutter issue, it get ok if I remove the battery and reinsert it again, it has happened 2 times. Can you help? Should I send it in to Canon or just replace the body? I was looking at 5D3. Or wait for 7D2??
Sanjeev

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2013, 07:05 AM
I've heard that this can happen with lots of Live View usage. I've also heard a few instances where the user with such issues took some high speed bursts at 8 fps...this apparently to help lubricate and free up the shutter blades. I've also heard of that replacing the smaller "cell" battery may care of that (but I find that unlikely). Those are easy to try, but if that fails I'm afraid you'd need to send the camera in for repair.

Dug Threewitt
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
I've had a similar problem, but I've tracked mine down to the battery grip. On a tripod, if it's in portrait orientation to the left, it's fine, if it's in portrait to the right, error(or vice versa, I never remember, which is why I still get the error). I don't remember if it's error 30 or not(sounds right). It will give the error, whatever I was shooting will be black, and I can't shoot again until I do one or more of the following: take out both batteries, switch them, switch back, remove the grip and re-install the grip.

I don't shoot much live view, but if you have a grip on, see if going the other way helps. Note, I've never had this problem off the tripod or mounted to tripod with a lens that has a collar.
Dug

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks Dan & Dug,
dug, you are right, my problem is almost similar.i do have a grip on my 7D. Will try to remove it and see, the first time that happened was with a 500II lens on a tripod while in live view in portrait orientation! Today it was with the 100-400L handheld (no live view). Do you think cleaning the lens and camera contact points and sensor would be of any help? I will remove the grip anyway and check.
thanks
Sanjeev

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2013, 01:25 PM
It may or may not help with that specific issue you are having but it is always a good idea to keep those contacts clean.