View Full Version : B&W Croc

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-13-2013, 02:00 PM
1/2000
f/4
ISO 250

Steve Kaluski
03-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi Sanjeev, overall I think the tones look flat, so you need to look at balancing out the Blacks, Whites & Midtones, that's why a colour image may not works when you convert, for me you need to have Contrast in the image, but Morkel I'm sure can expand on this Medium.

I would look to going pano to emphasis the subject & to avoid the rock on the RHS and to reduce some of the more brighter parts in the BKG. You can also just apply a % of black with a brush to also help this. Adding some Curves I feel helps to bring a bit more depth/contrast to the image, likewise you could add some colour to, the B/W is a bit stark for my taste, but this is just a personal observation. I think you can also add a bit more USM to the subject too. Can I ask why you went for f/4 was this from the same series of images, as more DOF would have been good to get more detail?

Hope this helps, but again, just my own personal thinking. :w3

TFS
Steve

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Steve, your RP looks so much better, I like the pano crop, wonder why I couldn't think of it! Maybe I always think of the 4:3 or 3:2 crops! Also I must admit I got stuck in Tv mode as I was trying BIFs, hence f/4. Guess I goofed up there!!

Rachel Hollander
03-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi Sanjeev - Steve has certainly brought out a tremendous amount of additional detail, living up to his reputation as Mr. Detail. I think what looks like harsh light and an off light angle were not your friends here. The view of the open mouth and teeth is certainly impressive though.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
03-14-2013, 08:03 AM
I like the pano crop, wonder why I couldn't think of it!

Sanjeev, it's a lot easier to look and comment in the 'cold light of day' and when it's someone else's image rather than your own, but I'm sure, as time goes by, you will remember for next time. :S3: