PDA

View Full Version : Great Gray Owl Feather.

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2013, 05:30 AM
I was fortunate to find an almost "mint" 5-inch long feather from this awesome species that made for great macro photography. A few experiments with comps, lighting, and settings made for intriguing results...here's one of my early favorites.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/9, ISO 800, dim backlighting (stuck to inside patio door with overcast conditions outdoors), handheld.

Randy Stout
03-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Daniel:

lots of detail, I like the angle of the rachis, effective lighting. Under controlled circumstances like this , would certainly consider a tripod to help keep everything in plane and allow more shutter speed and ISO flexibility.

Cheers

Randy

Dave Leroy
03-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Backlighting really accentuates the "camo" look to the feather. A cheap set of Kenko tubes would allow you to get close and magnify it even more if you were interested. Lovely stuff.

Jerry van Dijk
03-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi Daniel, seems you've gotten the most out of those owls! I like the abstract feel and the great details captured. Personally, I would have placed the black diagonal slightly higher in the frame. Very well done!

Steve Maxson
03-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi Daniel. I love the patterns and subtle colors - almost looks like a sepia-toned black & white! Good sharpness and detail overall (especially for hh at 1/100) and I like the multiple diagonals. The comp works for me, as presented. This is very well done!

Jonathan Ashton
03-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Very pleasing image Dan, I like the offset diagonal i.e. not being central. I really like the colours and the exposure, the detail is excellent. In a situation like this I would have most definitely used a tripod, abean bag a camera bag - anything to hold the camera still, and set at ISO 100. You have a great shot but if you replicated at ISO 100 you will be blown away with the capability of the 7D for macro.

Allen Sparks
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi Daniel,
Very strong image. Love the comp as is with the diagonal. Nice details and I am wondering like Jonathan what would have been the difference with a tripod or other support. This works just fine though - Well done.

Allen