PDA

View Full Version : PPA Insurance

Cody Conway
03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
With the investment in very expensive glass, I finally felt the need to get a separate insurance policy for my equipment. After talking with the local camera shop they encouraged I look into PPA - www.ppa.com (http://www.ppa.com) - it looked promising and covered most of my worry, with the main being theft and accidents while out in the field especially with an upcoming photography trip into amazonia, Yasuni Ecuador.

My question is do you guys feel this service adaquitely covers a general willdife photograhers gear? I travel with a 300, 500, and 17-40 F/4, as well as the 100mm f2.8 Macro, 580ex II flash, 50 f1.4, and Tripod gear - Gitzo 3541L with Markins t30 base, Arca-swiss Z1, and Wimberley Sidekick. Bodies are 7D and 5D MK II. The coverage states 15,000 max, and 7,500 max for water damage (one of my main concerns in the rainforest). My home owners insurance does not cover my equipment without a supplemental policy which would be roughly the same as what it is costing for the PPA membership which includes the equipment protection. Has anyone ever used their service before? Made a claim?

Thanks in advance!

Marina Scarr
03-13-2013, 08:21 AM
I have never used PPA and frankly don't know anyone who does. If you join NANPA, you have the opportunitiy to buy your insurance through Rand Insurance, a division of Chubb. It is specifically for photoraphers, and I think many photographers go this route. They pay out claims within a week. You may contact Kirsten Squier @ Rand Insurance by emailing her at ksquier@randinsurance.com or calling her at 203-442-2510.

With this company you decide what your equipment is worth and pay insurance on that amount. For instance, I have the old 500 but I have it insured for almost the amount of the new one. I think the rate just went up for the first time in about 6 years to .026 per $1 if I am not mistaken. If you go to the NANPA site, you will find a section regarding the insurance.

Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Cody Conway
03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks Marina, I did start a policy with PPA yesterday after fully reading the policy. It was the the middle ground between extreme coverage and acceptable coverage. It offered protection from most of my worries with my upcoming trip into Amazonia as long as I follow the rules. The "water damage from boating" was a big concern of mine, and it is covered just enough to cover the 500 F4 and 5D Mk II that I will be using most of the time while in the Canoe.

I do like the idea of being able to set your own value on your glass and paying that particular premium, this company I am currently with will only pay out 60% of cost of the new 500 f4 IS II if a claim is made - meaning that slightly over 6k will be paid back, to replace my lens should a full replacement be needed, with a pretty reasonable deductable at $250 USD for the first claim, and the abiltiy to make up to 4 claims per 12 month period. I will still keep looking around, right now I'm on a month to month coverage with this company per my PPA membership.

Cheers

dankearl
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't know about PPA, I cover $15,000 of camera equipment with a supplement homeowners policy for $130 a year.
Well worth it, it covers any damage, theft, dropping the stuff in a lake, everything.
I deal with a local agent and they have covered a lens I dropped on the concrete in my driveway.

Nancy Bell
03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
My experience with a supplemental rider on my homeowners policy sounded good until I made a claim. I had a large water damage claim for my home last year and I also had my expensive binoculars stolen. The insurance said they since they were covering the water damage claim, if I made a claim for the binoculars they would then cancel my insurance. It seems 1 claim per 3 years is their tolerance. I checked with other companies and this is not unusual. I now have my gear insured through NANPA. I am not a happy camper with the insurance business but I am not so brave as to be without.

DickLudwig
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't know about PPA, I cover $15,000 of camera equipment with a supplement homeowners policy for $130 a year.
Well worth it, it covers any damage, theft, dropping the stuff in a lake, everything.
I deal with a local agent and they have covered a lens I dropped on the concrete in my driveway.
If you sell some of your images the insurance company probably won't cover your claim because in their eyes your a "professional" and need to get "professional insurance coverage". I've contacted a number of companies and they all say the same thing "a rider on your home owners won't cover anyone whose a 'professional' and a professional is anyone who sells images they have taken, even if it just a few images". It would be wise to check if you sell your images even though you make your living doing something else.

Cody Conway
03-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks guys yeah I have seen there is pros and cons on all angles or this stuff. Home owners does cover only so much but if they find out you have sold ONE image you lose your coverage and are forced to add a business insurance policy.

I did not know about the water claim on home owners though forcing you out of your policy! That is rough... PPA seems to fit the bill for me. Hopefully I never had to make a claim but it's nice to know that it's there if anything happens!